Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 07 sport. I ran a carfax, DMVand NADA history report, all of which came back clean. After looking and having 2 jeep dealer ships and 2 independent body shops look at jeep it has obviously been wrecked.

I am taking back to dealership in the am to have some small spots tounched up on driverside rear door where rust is begining to form where they repaired the door.

I talked to the dealership and was told that they had no record of it ever being in an accident.

Not sure what to do at this point I know for sure that the entire drivers side has been repainted... and who ever did it did a really bad job.

Any thoughts??

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
chef7047 said:
I just purchased an 07 sport. I ran a carfax, DMVand NADA history report, all of which came back clean. After looking and having 2 jeep dealer ships and 2 independent body shops look at jeep it has obviously been wrecked.

I am taking back to dealership in the am to have some small spots tounched up on driverside rear door where rust is begining to form where they repaired the door.

I talked to the dealership and was told that they had no record of it ever being in an accident.

Not sure what to do at this point I know for sure that the entire drivers side has been repainted... and who ever did it did a really bad job.

Any thoughts??
I would be mad as hell. I would make them take it back. Threaten to sue.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i would get a written statement from dealerships and body shops and then take it back to were you bought it and have them fix it....

·
Registered
398 Posts
There is more at stake for the dealership that sold it to you than you might realize. Fraud can carry a hefty price. Since you cannot determine how severe the damage actually was you should be able to turn the vehicle back to them and see if they are willing to offer you compensation for the aggravation and headache. Two jeep dealerships and 2 independent body shops statements would carry a lot of weight.

My dad fought something similar. It took two years and a lawyer but eventually he kept the car and was paid back the full purchase price. This was from a toyota dealership. Boy, did they ever lie! They used lots of scare tactics and bullying. Don't be afraid to consult a lawer ( ugh, did I say that) in your state for advice if you need to. The initial consult should be free.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you haven't already done so, try checking with Carfax. You might have some redress with them if you qualify for their guarantee. If not, then definitely see an attorney. Laws differ around the country, but you might be able to bring a deceptive trade lawsuit against the dealer who sold you the Jeep and get your attorney's fees paid by the dealer. If you don't know of an attorney you can go to, call your local courthouse and ask for the local bar association, they normally have a program where they can refer you to 3 or more attorneys that have experience with your issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Another thought, take pictures of the entire vehicle to preserve the condition of the vehicle as it is now. Also if you have the ability, make a video of the vehicle showing the damages and repairs.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
SDBaja said:
There is more at stake for the dealership that sold it to you than you might realize. Fraud can carry a hefty price. .
I doubt there's any chance at all of proving fraud, especially since he said he ran Carfax, DMV and NADA history reports that all came back clean. How would the dealership be responsible? They get most of their used vehicles from trade-ins or auctions and can only go on the reports already mentioned. Proving any kind of fraud in this case is most likely going to be nearly impossible.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Chances are the dealer did not know about the damage.

Since there are no reports via Carfax, or DMV, probably repair by former owner or a wholesaler. Probably not a large amount of damage.

You might contact the former owner if you can get that from the car fax report or DMV and see what they can tell you.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The dealer could possibly turn the vehicle back to the auction, (if thats where it came from). I agree, most dlrs don't know much about the cars they sell. new or used. keep us posted on your progress.Also, find a reputable collision shop in your area, get an estimate for repairs and see if the dealer would make restitution. my experience is that most dealers dont have very good body shops, and they might just compound the problem. once something starts to rust it usually comes back.keep us posted on your situation-43:D

·
Registered
282 Posts
sue for recision provided you have documentation stating it was never in an accident

·
Registered
398 Posts
If a consumer without any specific trained ability in body damage or repair is able to descern that the vehicle was damaged wouldn't you have to believe that the selling authority (which typically buys and sells) does have that level of expertise? I think there is reasonable cause to believe dishonest activity by the dealer. Regardless, this would be a matter for legal assistance in the state you bought it from.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
SDBaja said:
If a consumer without any specific trained ability in body damage or repair is able to descern that the vehicle was damaged wouldn't you have to believe that the selling authority (which typically buys and sells) does have that level of expertise? I think there is reasonable cause to believe dishonest activity by the dealer. Regardless, this would be a matter for legal assistance in the state you bought it from.
He obviously didn't know that it had been damaged or he wouldn't have purchased it. He did say that he had the car looked over by more than one "expert"

I understand people are quick to blame the dealer and it sucks when something like this happens, but it should be a lesson to everyone that they should have any used vehicle inspected prior to purchase.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Another possibility is that the car was damaged on the dealers lot and fixed by their body shop. In that case it would not show up on a Carfax report. I'm sure the used cars the dealer gets are inspected before they are put up for sale. In my opinion the dealer is responsible and needs to make this right.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
chef7047 said:
I spoke to the dealership today... they are finding me another 07 commander, when they do I will take this one back.
Good for you ! I bet they new they wouldn't have a chance in a legal battle. I also bet they knew about the damage.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
jeep5253 said:
Good for you ! I bet they new they wouldn't have a chance in a legal battle. I also bet they knew about the damage.
Or maybe they just want to do right by their customers..... Not all dealerships are as bad as everyone thinks. Legal battles are practically non-existant in the dealership world anyway. Almost every dealership in the U.S. has a section in the contract where the buyer and seller agree to settle any differences using an independent arbitrator. This is true for both new and used vehicle sales. If you don't believe me, just look at the last contract you signed when you purchased a vehicle from a dealership.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
good to hear they resolved the problem.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Sounds like you purchased from a good dealer. Keep that in mind when you run into small problems as well.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Good to hear. Some dealers are still good...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts