Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rain Rain and more Rain

We spent the night at a local state park and it rained all night and into the morning. When we woke up we were told we were trapped in due to the river rising overnight. But we made it out with out any problems.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Very nice pictures, in AZ we have laws against crossing flooded roads as many people die each year trying it and getting washed away.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We spent the night at a local state park and it rained all night and into the morning. When we woke up we were told we were trapped in due to the river rising overnight. But we made it out with out any problems.

That second picture is exactly how a road that is washed out can appear. 6'' of water can sweep you away ESPECIALLY if the road is washed out underneath. In a vehicle as heavy as the Commander you could slide off on a sheet of asphalt like a 10 year old on a wakeboard. I would not recommend this practice, especially with children. Lord knows I am not one to preach but I like to give good advice when I can and believe me Sir this is good advice. Nice pics though and looks like a nice trip.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Great pics but I have to agree with blackwater. Although I am not one to stay out of water I try to do it only on the trails where the water is not moving or moving slowly. Water that is clear and shallow is fine to cross because you can see the bottom and it usually means it is slow moving if it has very little mud in it. It can move you vehicle or it can cause you to hydrolock and then you are stranded in what could be rapidly rising water. That means you now have to put others live in danger for your actions because someone will have to come and help you. I know it is a cheesy saying but "turn around, don't drown"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you for the advice. We where not the first to cross the streams. We had seen park rangers drive through the water moments before we did. I am not one to bet my or my daughters life on chance. Years of paddling have given me a healthy respect for the power of water. Had I not seen the park rangers cross we would have turned around. I don’t want to give the wrong idea. Water crossing is very dangerous indeed.

On the flip side of things if we had stayed and the river continued to rise we would have been stranded...possibly for days with little food and water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts