Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed or not, sorry if it has. I tried my best to search for it in a variaty of ways and could not find anything. The fluid for the NV 245 Transfer Case is Mopar NV245/247 Transfer Case Fluid P/N 05016796AB. Is this the only fluid that should be used in these case and as such is just a dealer item? I'm asking because the dealer in my area (Memphis, TN) want's $30.00 per quart for the stuff. It's not that big a deal because the frequency of change is low. But does anyone know of a differant/better fluid to use? For what it's worth, the Amsoil site does not list one of their products for this application, they refer to the OEM fluid. Thanks, and sorry again if this has been covered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll second the three quart capacity. Did mine two weekends ago. I had a tiny bit left from the third quart, but I probably wasnt on perfectly level ground either......
The 1/2 NPT elbow is an excellent idea, wish I'd thought of that.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Maybe I misunderstand the AMSOIL chart. I interpret it to mean the AMSOIL product is Synthetic Hydraulic Tractor Oil and the MOPAR to be the SLF description. I would call AMSOIL if I were you and ASK before I would pay $30 a qt. which is an INCREDIBLE overcharge. Also, 3.9 pints is 2 Quarts, not good on the seals to overfill. john

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree, I'm not just what makes the MOPAR Brand so special.

You can bet that it will not be on sale....

Use 2 Qts to refill, that is enough.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I got the Mopar fluid at my dealer, paid ~$20/quart for it. I used both bottles during my 30k service today.

·
2,248 Posts
I did all the fluids with Amsoil except the transfer case. I did buy the Amsoil tractor fluid but ended up using the Mopar fluid since I needed the two small bottles of friction modifier for the differentials anyway. I can't remember how much it cost but it was way less than $30 a quart at the Jeep dealer here in Mesa, AZ. It took two quarts and was not completely full, but it did not take hardly any more to get up to the threads. So two is the correct amount. While I was doing all the fluids I added a drain plug to the Transmission and used it for my temp sender. There is a thread about it with pictures on the forum here if you search for it. Transmission took 6 quarts without flushing the torque convertor. Sometimes a drain plug is not a good idea because some service shops will take a shortcut and not drop your pan if you have a drain plug. I think it is OK because I am careful who does the service and it certainly is easier to drain it before you drop the pan.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I paid $17 for mine, definitely not $30 like some have suggested.

·
Registered
188 Posts
MSRP is around $12 for the NV245/247 fluid. Dealers here in Detroit would never get away with charging more. Too much competition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts