Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just did an oil change and replaced the rear diff fluid on my 3.7L commander. Did it for around $60 myself all synthetic. I bought my commander used. And it's at about 43,000 mi now. I changed the rear diff fluid because it was very dirty almost black. I assume the front is the same so I will be doing that soon. Can I change the transfer case fluid myself too? What about the transmission fluid, and filter? I bought it with 35,000 miles and I don't think any major services were done.

It's been hard for me to find any info on the 3.7L.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Ok so I just did an oil change and replaced the rear diff fluid on my 3.7L commander. Did it for around $60 myself all synthetic. I bought my commander used. And it's at about 43,000 mi now. I changed the rear diff fluid because it was very dirty almost black. I assume the front is the same so I will be doing that soon. Can I change the transfer case fluid myself too? What about the transmission fluid, and filter? I bought it with 35,000 miles and I don't think any major services were done.

It's been hard for me to find any info on the 3.7L.
Yes you can change the transfer case fluid yourself. Its really easy.

I have not changed my transmission fluid/filters yet.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
So what type of fluid goes in the transfer case and how much on the 3.7l 4x4?
You have have a NV140 Transfer Case which uses Mopar ATF +4 type 9602.

1.4 pts. (22.4 oz./0.7 qts.)

Transfer case drain plug torque: 15-25 ft.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
So what type of fluid goes in the transfer case and how much on the 3.7l 4x4?
I moved your question to this thread, read it from the beginning and you will find the information very helpful.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I moved your question to this thread, read it from the beginning and you will find the information very helpful.
I think this thread is more for the NV245 transfer case which uses Mopar Transfer Case Fluid and what fluid we could use instead of the Mopar Trasnfer Case Fluid. He has the NV140 which uses Mopar ATF +4

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I think this thread is more for the NV245 transfer case which uses Mopar Transfer Case Fluid and what fluid we could use instead of the Mopar Trasnfer Case Fluid. He has the NV140 which uses Mopar ATF +4
Thanks! I will make a thread for each transfer case. I am glad you knew the difference.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
This thread is a split off from the original "transfer case fliud?" thread and covers the NV140 transfer case discussion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From reading the other thread the consensus seems to be that the Mopar fluid ATF +4 9602 is the ONLY fluid that should be used correct? Other brands are not recommended?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
From reading the other thread the consensus seems to be that the Mopar fluid ATF +4 9602 is the ONLY fluid that should be used correct? Other brands are not recommended?
With your transfer case, any ATF +4 can be used. I would highly recommend using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF +4.

Now for those of us with the NV245 Transfer Case (4.7 L & 5.7 L) it is recommended to only use Mopar Transfer Case Fluid.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
What do you guys think of Redline oils? I am a dealer and they have atf+4. I know mobil 1 is the best though.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=53&pcid=9
I used redline in the manual transmission of my 2006 Mazda 6s. It was nice in the summer time and shifted really smoothe. But in the winter I couldnt shift at all and ended up swapping out the redline with Mobil 1 and didnt have any issues after that.

In the end Id still go with the Mobil 1.

·
Registered
661 Posts
ok im set to change my differentials both front and rear and the transfer case fluid and power steering fluid now i searched but cant find a direct answer what kind of fluid do i use for the 4.7 L with Q T 2 for the diffs and transfer case
and what kind should i use for the 3.7 L with Q T 1 thanks alot i appreciate it

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
What do you guys think of Redline oils? I am a dealer and they have atf+4. I know mobil 1 is the best though.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=53&pcid=9
ATF+4 has to be certified by Chrysler to meet its specific specs, you can't put ATF+4 on the bottle lable unless it meets the spec.

http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html

Last time I checked, Redline and AMSOIL have a Snythetic Transmission fluid that they claim can be used in ATF+4 applications, BUT, it is NOT ATF+4. I think this is true of the Mobil1 Synthetic ATF also. Please correct me if I'm wrong. BUT, if it does NOT say it is ATF+4 on the bottle as a label, and only says it can be used in transmissions that call for ATF+4 in the fine print, then it is NOT ATF+4 and would likely void you warranty, at least for that component, if you use it.

Having said that, most Transfer Cases in the past just called for ATF or Synthetic ATF, and Chrysler went to cost cutting by using the ATF+4 they bought in bulk in every application possible. SO, I think its reasonalbe to assume any qaulity Synthetic ATF would work just fine a NV-140. You just have to worry about warranty if you use something other than ATF+4.

The high qaulity Synthetic ATF's, like Mobil1, Redline, AMSOIL, that claim to meet the requirements for ATF+4 and other ATF's as well. That debatable; people have used them and I have yet to hear any problems with them. Thats NOT to say you can use cheap Dexron or Mercon and get the same result, what fluid you use in a Transmission makes a big difference. I think its a matter of high quality synthetics live up to their claims, its NOT a matter of using any old ATF is fine. The argument is still, if the fluid is NOT certified, it does NOT meet all the specs and as such may NOT protect as well as the certified fluid. Expect your dealer to make that argument if you try to get warranty work done on a vehicle where you did NOT use the certified fluid.

Personally, I used AMSOIL Synthetic ATF in my Commander, in the W5A580 Trans and the NV-140 XFR Case and so far its worked great, but its only been about 8k miles.

I have heard good things about the Redline, and heard reputable people express confidence in the Mobil1 Synthetic ATF used in replace of ATF+4. Just keep in mind your warranty.

If you go over to Allpar.com website and read about the ATF+4, it does seem to support the argument that AMSOIL and the others make. Their superior synthetic ATF works for multiple fluids because it stands up so well to abuse, that it doesn't degrade like the others and thus is better for the trans and the fluid is closer to the specs for new fluid, 20k miles down the road, when the actual ATF+4 has degraded and is NOT as good as it specs.

That was the whole deal with ATF+, ATF+2, ATF+3, ATF+4; there isn't anything magical about the fluid, its just a thin ATF with a higher than previous fricition coefficient. The problem was Chrysler's problem trans, the mini-van A604/41TE that keep cooking its fluid and dying an early death from bad fluid. Using anything but the ATF+ would result in death in a short time. They just kept upping the quality of the fluid to hold up under the stress, they weren't changing around the specs, other than its ability to withstand sheering and oxidation. When they went to ATF+4, which is synthetic (granted GrpIII Synthetic) and new additive package just developed by a big oil company, they finally hit the magic formula for a fluid that actually survived in their A604/41TE trans.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts