Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am considering purchasing an OBD Code Reader. Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive Code Reader? My check engine light is not on now but with 102,000 miles I thought this would be a good thing to have. I found this one and it looks like a good price, is there a disadvantage for getting this one over the more expensive ones?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have this one which does the job quite nicely: ACTRON

If i was buying a [affordable] scan tool today, it'd be this one: EQUUS

Those cheap tools are OK for getting you the code... and then you can go online and look up what the code means. BUT, you're not going to be able to solve the issue unless you have a scanner than can read some basic data; otherwise you'll just be throwing parts at it. For example, sometime Catalytic Efficiency codes are actually due to a bad 02 sensor.... but you wouldn't know this unless you hooked up the scanner and watched the 02 signal response as the engine was running.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
You guys fell for a SPAMMER !

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Matt - I am glad you replied because I have a cheap reader that does get the codes and I was wondering if an investment in better would be worth it and what a higher grade of diagnostics would get me.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Seems like a legit question to me.

Do you always assume anyone with 1 post is a spammer?
I've been here long enough to know the signs that someone is a spammer. This guy is trying to get sales for the product he linked to. It is possible that I am wrong but I don't think I am.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Matt - I am glad you replied because I have a cheap reader that does get the codes and I was wondering if an investment in better would be worth it and what a higher grade of diagnostics would get me.
I've diagnosed a lot of issues with my Actron 9180... if you shop around you can usually find them in the $110-$120 range.

The other one I linked has a few more nice features and can also read ABS codes on certain models.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Heres the one I bought. I had to choose between the OBD1 and OBD2 or the OBD2 only with ABS, I chose the Equus 3160 OBD2 with ABS, bought it on Amazon, works great have allready saved myself money, and my friends. BTW, Ford wanted $245 to scan my 05 diesel work truck that is out of factory warranty, thats why I bought it, it paid for itself the first time I used it.. Oh and Im not a spammer because I only have 5 posts, LOL

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Heres the one I bought. I had to choose between the OBD1 and OBD2 or the OBD2 only with ABS, I chose the Equus 3160 OBD2 with ABS, bought it on Amazon, works great have allready saved myself money, and my friends. BTW, Ford wanted $245 to scan my 05 diesel work truck that is out of factory warranty, thats why I bought it, it paid for itself the first time I used it.. Oh and Im not a spammer because I only have 5 posts, LOL
And i probably live down the street from you (also in Jackson) and really want to check out that Mustang some day! Are you bringing it to the Englishtown car show?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
BTW, Ford wanted $245 to scan my 05 diesel work truck that is out of factory warranty, thats why I bought it, it paid for itself the first time I used it..
Yea, my mini-van has an air-bag light on, I just want to know the code that is stored for it, the Dealer won't scan it for less than $100.

Does this tool only read the ABS codes or can it operate the ABS pump as well to bleed the brakes?

The manufacturers keep all the protocols proprietary, so the dealers don't have any competition and forces customers into the dealerships, that prices keep going up as the quality goes down.

OBD protocols are stipulated by the government, so any tool can read those.

For a $100 bucks or less, you're NOT going to find a tool that can do much more than read the OBD information, hopefully someone will prove me wrong.

The tools that can do everything are in the several of thousands of dollars, either because the manufacturers keep the information proprietary and force those high prices, or companies making 3rd party tools, have to spend tons of money reverse engineering everything to produce a tool that works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts