Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Having an interesting issue with my 2006 4.7 XK. A couple of times now, when driving at 40-45 mph, a little vibration starts to happen. Can't tell where it originates from. Then it gets stronger, and stronger, until finally I have to pull over cause the things is shaking pretty good. Both times this has happened, I got out, took a walk around the Jeep, got back on the road, and it was fine. I mean, I only pulled over for about 2-3 minutes, and wa-la! It's gone. What gives?

There's no loss of power/stalling, so not likely an engine issue.
It doesn't happen consistently, so probably not a tire balance issue.

One thought I had... maybe a transmission mount? If that's worn, seems like it could be causing the shimmying. Plus there's a little knock from below when I put it in Drive or Reverse.

Would love to know if anyone else has dealt with this!

·
Administrator
15,503 Posts
One thought I had... maybe a transmission mount? If that's worn, seems like it could be causing the shimmying. Plus there's a little knock from below when I put it in Drive or Reverse.
That's a good place to start looking.

·
Administrator
6,634 Posts
Hey all. Having an interesting issue with my 2006 4.7 XK. A couple of times now, when driving at 40-45 mph, a little vibration starts to happen. Can't tell where it originates from. Then it gets stronger, and stronger, until finally I have to pull over cause the things is shaking pretty good. Both times this has happened, I got out, took a walk around the Jeep, got back on the road, and it was fine. I mean, I only pulled over for about 2-3 minutes, and wa-la! It's gone. What gives?

@ace84; Welcome to the forum;

Please read the New Member Required Reading below and complete your user profile as directed, in order to comply with the forum rules;

Also, kindly take the time to post an introduction to the forum in the New Member Section shown below;

Reference your shaking problem; Are you receiving any DTC's in the EVIC?

Thanks & welcome aboard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ace84; Welcome to the forum;

Please read the New Member Required Reading below and complete your user profile as directed, in order to comply with the forum rules;

Also, kindly take the time to post an introduction to the forum in the New Member Section shown below;

Reference your shaking problem; Are you receiving any DTC's in the EVIC?

Thanks & welcome aboard.

No DTCs at all. And no slippage in the transmission or rough shifting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The previous owner had it done a year or two ago. However, if it were a balance issue, wouldn't I get the shaking more often? I can sometimes go interstate speed without it shaking at all. But then at random times (again, around 40-45 mph), it'll start out small, get stronger, and after about 20 seconds I have to pull over.

·
Administrator
6,634 Posts
The previous owner had it done a year or two ago. However, if it were a balance issue, wouldn't I get the shaking more often? I can sometimes go interstate speed without it shaking at all. But then at random times (again, around 40-45 mph), it'll start out small, get stronger, and after about 20 seconds I have to pull over.
So you have never had your tires speed balanced, since you've owned your Commander.

And to answer your question, not necessarily.

It may not be the cause, but, it's easy & cheap enough, that it would be silly for you to just dismiss it and not have your tire balancing checked out.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You could rule out torque converter by shifting into manual when it occurs.

You could also shift into N to maybe see if its a trans issue.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Check your steering damper - it may need to be replaced. Also check the front ball joints and tie rods. Raise the front wheels with a jack and grab the outside of the tire and pull it back and forth. If there is movement or you can feel it click you need replace the ball joints or tie rod end joints.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I had a very similar issue with my 2007 Jeep Commander Limited which I have owned since new. Drove it for 10 years when this problem started @ around 95,000 miles. Would be driving anywhere from 40-55 mph and a vibration would intermittently appear and get so severe the entire Jeep would be shaking so bad I would have to pull over. After coming to a stop and putting it in Park, the vibration would be gone only to show up again at some later date often after 100's of miles or months later. I took it to the dealer and several independent mechanics to no avail. They could never duplicate the vibration. This went on for close to a year until 115,000 miles. After scouring online forums for an answer, some guy said it was the parking brake. The cable can rub on the axle until the outer sheathing is worn away and certain minor bumps in the road would cause the cable to get caught on the axle and activate the parking brake shoes. Stopping and putting the Jeep into park would release the shoes - therefore no more vibration until I hit just the right combo of road conditions which could take days, weeks or sometime months. A buildup of dirt and crud within the parking brake shoes probably contributed the problem. Armed with that info I went back to my mechanic who replaced the parking brake shoes, both rear parking brake cables and parking brake actuator as well as machined the rear drums. This eliminated the problem. I now have 142,000 miles on the Jeep and have had no more vibration in close to 3 years.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I was on a trip from Ohio to Tennessee last year and after a pit stop when I got back on the interstate I was getting a vibration. It was speed related to how bad it got. I checked the air pressure in the EVIC and all were good. Pulled into a rest stop and checked the wheels and tires and did not see anything. I had gotten a "check 4WD" message pop up, but it went out. Thought it was 4WD problem and continued toward home. About an hour later doing 65 on the interstate the right rear tire blew out. Problem solved.. Had driven through 3 tunnels so luckley it happened on a section of open road.

·
Administrator
6,634 Posts
I had a very similar issue with my 2007 Jeep Commander Limited which I have owned since new. Drove it for 10 years when this problem started @ around 95,000 miles. Would be driving anywhere from 40-55 mph and a vibration would intermittently appear and get so severe the entire Jeep would be shaking so bad I would have to pull over. After coming to a stop and putting it in Park, the vibration would be gone only to show up again at some later date often after 100's of miles or months later. I took it to the dealer and several independent mechanics to no avail. They could never duplicate the vibration. This went on for close to a year until 115,000 miles. After scouring online forums for an answer, some guy said it was the parking brake. The cable can rub on the axle until the outer sheathing is worn away and certain minor bumps in the road would cause the cable to get caught on the axle and activate the parking brake shoes. Stopping and putting the Jeep into park would release the shoes - therefore no more vibration until I hit just the right combo of road conditions which could take days, weeks or sometime months. A buildup of dirt and crud within the parking brake shoes probably contributed the problem. Armed with that info I went back to my mechanic who replaced the parking brake shoes, both rear parking brake cables and parking brake actuator as well as machined the rear drums. This eliminated the problem. I now have 142,000 miles on the Jeep and have had no more vibration in close to 3 years.
@Arbs;

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts

Greeting to all and has been a while since in the site. After all the fixes to my '06 Commander Limited 5.7 Hemi, 198,000 miles, your problem is one item which illudes me to find a proper solution. I will share to date what was checked and the problem remains intermittent and so rare that I tend to not worry about it anymore.
Anyway, overhauled front drive shaft..front end / rear end alignment...new tires, Wrangler Fortitude HT,,, new safety brake shoes and new rotors / front and rear...
So, as you see, nothing I've done has changed anything regarding the oh so slightly intermittent shimmy of vehicle. I remain interested and curious as this issue must have been resolved by someone. Everything else mentioned as a possible source of problem was also checked on my vehicle to no avail. Please keep me informed of your adventure as I will of mine. Best regards,. Lee

·
Registered
48 Posts
Going to follow along because I am chasing down a similar vibration. Though I think my source may be related to my front driveshaft CV boot being torn, but it's been torn for a while, the driveshaft seems tight and fine when Im under the vehicle.

I also recently replaced my emergency brake shoes. Apparently one side was too tight and caused vibrations, so I took them apart, retried and and it was gone. But, came back, so I am not sure if one side got tight again, or if I am experiencing a driveshaft issue that I've had in other Jeeps—this is less noise and all vibration though...

I also just rotated the tires thinking it could be loose lugs or maybe I randomly lost a tire weight, but I dont think that is the case. I feel like it's the damn parking shoes or the driveshaft.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did a closer inspection of my emergency brake setup tonight. I loosened the adjusters all the way, and when pulled, the e-brake still holds the Jeep on my driveway. So, it's tight. I inspected the cable too and found what might be my issue... see pics. Apparently the cable rubbed on the differential housing and ate through the cable cover? What the hell? I zip tied the cables to the sway bar to keep it off the differential housing and sprayed some WD-40 in the 'wound' hoping it resolves my issue.

·
Administrator
6,634 Posts
Did a closer inspection of my emergency brake setup tonight. I loosened the adjusters all the way, and when pulled, the e-brake still holds the Jeep on my driveway. So, it's tight. I inspected the cable too and found what might be my issue... see pics. Apparently the cable rubbed on the differential housing and ate through the cable cover? What the hell? I zip tied the cables to the sway bar to keep it off the differential housing and sprayed some WD-40 in the 'wound' hoping it resolves my issue.
If I were you, I'd replace that cable before it snaps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts