Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so yesterday I changed out my throttle position sensor and decided to check my oil while I was at it. To my surprise the dip stick only had the tip covered with oil, I thought this is weird so I cleaned it and checked again and again only the tip was wet. I panicked and immediately went and purchased oil to do an oil change. To my surprise then I emptied my oil pan it had about 6 quarts in there. I know you are probably wondering did you check the oil level after the oil change and well I just thought about this and no I didn't I just added the 6 quarts and left it like that I will check it as soon as I get home this afternoon. Has this happened to anyone? Do you guys think there is something wrong with my dip stick? I will check later and let you know what it shows. :notallthere:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I checked my oil yesturday when I got to work and it was showing fine on the dipstick I am not sure why it was showing low before the oil change I guess we will never know.:notallthere:

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
A few things that will affect a dip stick reading.
Engine off for at least 5 minutes so the oil drains back into the oil pan.
I always check in the morning before starting when I do check it.
Car on level ground.
Dip stick insetred ALL the way.

I have had an engine that had a lot of crap in it where it drained back into the pan taking a long time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts