Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JC and i do have the mopar bug deflector installed. Over 65mph there is a very annoying shrill wind noise coming from what sounds like the front of the vehicle. I have taken it to the dealer twice and they can only tell me it's a wind noise, but they as of yet have no way to remedy it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tureg said:
I have a JC and i do have the mopar bug deflector installed. Over 65mph there is a very annoying shrill wind noise coming from what sounds like the front of the vehicle. I have taken it to the dealer twice and they can only tell me it's a wind noise, but they as of yet have no way to remedy it.
I have the bug deflector on my XK but it doesn't create any noise. Was the noise there before you installed the bug deflector?...if so check out this thread:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Can be fixed. There are many causes, but there is enough info on this board to help you narrow it down. Mine was windshield seal. Noise did not change when I went to recirrulate. If if changes could be sun roof it you have one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine was the windshield seal too. The dealer fixed it immediately because they knew what was wrong. There's another thread on this forum for that issue. Try taking it to another Jeep dealership if your dealership doesn't know how to fix it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks to this forum I insisted mine get fixed. The dealership had no idea that this even happened (or so they say), but when they got in touch with their glass people they said that they have fixed about 100 Jeeps doing the same thing. The insurance company seemed hesitant to let the glass company fix it because they figured it was a manufacter defect. Luckily (wierd) i had a crack too from some jackass cutting me off on the freeway, so when i kept telling them to replace the windshield to fix the crack, they finally gave in. I had my JC in the shop due to the motor for the AC blower went out last weekend, which is unacceptable in metro Phoenix, and now... 5 days later, i get to pick it up tomorrow.

The service rep called me today and said that the sealant that Chrysler used to seal the windows didn't solidify the way it was supposed to in the corners, so it never seal properly. when the new glass people were replacing it they had to scrap all that crap out of there. So... now it SHOULD be fixed. i'll let everyone know.

·
Registered
110 Posts
new TSB that came out........

Form ASI-002 Rev. 1.05
July 26, 2006
TO: ALL JEEP DEALERS
SUBJECT: RAPID RESPONSE TRANSMITTAL SERVICE ACTION #06-027
Windshield Header Buzz Or Humming Sound
INVOLVED VEHICLES: 2006 (XK) Commander
NOTE: This should be a top priority and be completed prior to sale to avoid
suspect vehicles being delivered to customers.
DISCUSSION:
A number of vehicles have been shipped to dealers with a windshield header
molding that may cause a buzz or humming sound when the vehicle is driven at
speeds above 45 mph (72 kph). When air passes over top of the tail section of the
molding it may vibrate creating a buzz or humming sound. The sound is more
likely to occur in warmer ambient temperatures when the molding material is more
flexible.
PARTS REQUIRED:
1 04467708 Sealer, Silicone Windshield and Glass (will service
multiple vehicles)
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Use a trim stick to hold the tail section of the windshield molding away from the
roof panel and use an alcohol wipe to clean all the way across the vehicle
between the molding and roof panel.
2. Use a trim stick to hold the tail section of the windshield molding away from the
roof panel and apply MOPAR Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer, p/n
04467708, in the joint between molding and the roof panel.
3. If sealer squeeze out occurs, immediately wipe off the excess with a clean paper
towel.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No:
23-50-25-93 Seal Windshield Header Molding 0.2 Hrs.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Tureg said:
Tureg - Wind noise is a known probklem. I beleive XKPearl posted a TSB in this thread. Do not let the service department fool you into thinking it is the air deflector. I have the deflector on mine - dealer installed - and do not get wind noise from it - HOWEVER, I did, for the first time, notice the wonderful built in whistle that seems to be a given with all XKs! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
110 Posts
My wife just called, she's enroute home from her parent's Michigan farm. She's logged about 1400 miles on this trip so far driving at various speeds up to just over 80mph and has had no problems w/ any whistling, noises, leaks, etc. And as a side note; when she monitors her driving using cruise control, her mpg has been consistent in the 19 to 19.2mpg range. She went through a tank of gas w/out monitoring her speed and w/out cruise control, stepping on the gas now and again to pass, and her gas mileage only dropped to 18.4mpg. Maybe, just maybe, my streak of "good luck" December built cars is holding true.

XKPearl:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the problem. The dealership said that it is a problem with Jeep Commanders with sunroofs. Somehow the drainage vibrates in the wind at high speeds. They have a bulletin that describes the repair resolving the problem. It worked. I know longer hear the noise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So they reinstalled a windshield for me. And guess what.... no more wind sound. It's very strange because I am so used to hearing it. Ahh... peace. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts