Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2006 Commander, which doesnt have fog lights.. My wife is insisting that fog lights be added..

I have found kits that come with the lights and a wiring harness, then I have also found kits that come with just the lights and a new steering column stalk.. My questions is which one to buy.. I want this to be as close to OEM install as possible..

Thanks..

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
The one with the steering column stalk is like the OEM.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
And its easy to install. Once your done installing it you will have to swing by the dealer and have them tell the Commander it has fog lights via their Computer aka StarScan.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Someone started a thread on this last week so you are not alone.

·
Registered
195 Posts
go w the stalk application - easy mod.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
We have several members that bought the OEM lights w/stalk and all have said it was easy. Me, I am the one that has to do it differently.

I just hooked into my headlights so they are on all the time.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Sorry for the horrible picture, but I took the bumper cover off and saw this little blue plug on both sides that seems to go to the fog lights. Does this mean I just need to get the lights?
Yes, But you need to also replace the stalk as the one you have most likely does not have the fog position.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you buy the oem kit it should come with the new stalk. after you install it all you need to do is go to a dealer and tell them you need the fog lights activated.
Does anyone have the OEM part number for this Fog Light Kit with the new Stalk?

What will the dealer charge to activate the fog lights?

·
Registered
862 Posts
One nice thing about the OEM switch: when the lights are turned off, so do the fogs. The fog lights are turned on when the switch is pulled out. It's interlocked with the switch rotation, and clicks back in/off when the lights are off. You can't forget and leave them on like an add-on switch.

Also, if you have automatic lights you can leave the fog switch pulled out while the lights are in the 'A' position. That way, the fog lights turn on when the Jeep decides to turn on the lights.

Most vehicles have one wiring harness-fizt-all. :) Whether or not fog lights (or upgraded instruments, towing connector, or...??) are installed, comes down to a marketing 'options' package. They've been doing that since the 50's. You can pull the dash on a 1965 Plymouth, and add the optional clock by just popping out the dash cover plug and connecting to the already-there wiring connector. Gotta' love marketing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Has anyone on the forum been able to activate the Automatic Headlights with their OEM fog light kit?
I would like to have this feature, but don't know if it's simply a programming item with the new light stalk or if it's more involved.

·
Registered
106 Posts
noob question. what is a stalk? please keep harassment limited to the next 5 posts. jk, lol.

·
Registered
314 Posts
noob question. what is a stalk? please keep harassment limited to the next 5 posts. jk, lol.
I'm new here too, but on this forum, the turn-signal arm, that controls your lights, on your steering column is called the stalk.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Has anyone on the forum been able to activate the Automatic Headlights with their OEM fog light kit?
This can be done by the dealer with the StarScan tool, you cannot do it yourself at home.

·
Registered
809 Posts
So if mine came with fog lights I could have auto headlights activated by starscan without purchasing any new hardware?

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
So if mine came with fog lights I could have auto headlights activated by starscan without purchasing any new hardware?
No, you have to have the sensor which is built in to the rear view mirror. I think EODJEEPXK was asking about having the fogs on at the same time as the high beams. The auto headlight dimming feature does not allow for this. If you have the fogs turned on and the auto dimming turned on then when the brights come on the fogs automatically turn off and then they come on again when the brights turn off.

·
Registered
314 Posts
No, you have to have the sensor which is built in to the rear view mirror. I think EODJEEPXK was asking about having the fogs on at the same time as the high beams. The auto headlight dimming feature does not allow for this. If you have the fogs turned on and the auto dimming turned on then when the brights come on the fogs automatically turn off and then they come on again when the brights turn off.
How hard is it to add this sensor? Will the wiring be at the rearview mirror if you don't have one with the sensor?

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
How hard is it to add this sensor? Will the wiring be at the rearview mirror if you don't have one with the sensor?
Sorry but I have no idea.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts