Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with two dealers local to me. Both said the same thing: All OEM starters for our cars are reman now, as they (Chrysler) don't make them new anymore. Has anyone else heard this? I'm on the hunt for one (TODAY), and I got them to discount it by nearly $100 after some polite haggling and price matching references. Anyway, I wanted to go brand new OEM, knowing it would cost more than Amazon/eBay/Autozone etc... But would be much more likely to survive past a single year. But, them not having any "new" ones just seems strange.

And yes, I will be replacing the yellow starter wire connector (again), even though it looks like the previous owner already did it. This time though, I'll probably just solder the damn thing on. I mean, why would I need a connector for anyway if I'm never going to take it off?! And if I ever DO need to, I'll just snip it and resolder it!

(08 Overland, btw)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,276 Posts
On the yellow starter wire, it is better to crimp the connector rather than solder. Soldered connections do not hold up well against vibration or movement.

Reactions: bblickle

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
At this point I'll probably go way overboard and solder + crimp + tape + bolt + weld that SOB on 😆
LOL How about running a second wire up to the top so it would be easier to fix next time?

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I do not know where the yellow wire goes to at the other end from the starter, thought a backup wire might be good. :giggle:

·
Registered
2008 Commander Sport 4.7L V8, 70k mi
21 Posts
Running a second wire for the starting current from battery to starter takes a little bit of electrical knowledge.
To make it simple: make sure the second wire is the same size and conductor material (aluminum or copper). In this setting, 12 VDC, you don't have to worry much about insulation.

Bad connections heat up when current is flowing. A second wire would decrease the resistance of the wire assembly and be a back up connection that may have a better less resistive connection.
You only need your starter for a short amount of time. But in that time it takes a lot of current.

Don't forget to check all the connections for high resistance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Running a second wire for the starting current from battery to starter takes a little bit of electrical knowledge.
To make it simple: make sure the second wire is the same size and conductor material (aluminum or copper). In this setting, 12 VDC, you don't have to worry much about insulation.

Bad connections heat up when current is flowing. A second wire would decrease the resistance of the wire assembly and be a back up connection that may have a better less resistive connection.
You only need your starter for a short amount of time. But in that time it takes a lot of current.

Don't forget to check all the connections for high resistance!
I totally get it as using a second wire for a backup... THAT I'm good on. And I might just do it anyway. We'll see when I get it on the rack and take it apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts