Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi!

I ordered a JC Limited 4x4 HEMI in late Jan. The specs state All Terrain tires. Seems that the Fortera is the OEM for the JC. From the little research I have done on the Fortera they are built specificly for SUVs - see the link below.

They are a smooth and quite riding tire on pavement... have not had time to do much off roading other than a few national forrest trails.. they seem to handle that well too.

http://www.goodyearfortera.com/goodyearfortera/html/index.jsp

If your JC has Fortera's on it then you got the right tire - may just be a matter of terminology :confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
The $125 option for "All Terrain Tires" is just a OWL version of the same fortera tire that is standard....seems like a lot of money for from what I can tell is the same tire, except one has white lettering and one doesn't

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
xkjohn said:
The $125 option for "All Terrain Tires" is just a OWL version of the same fortera tire that is standard....seems like a lot of money for from what I can tell is the same tire, except one has white lettering and one doesn't
Just checked XKJeeps.com and you are right. They are both Fortera HLs. The All Terrain ones might be alightly larger because the revolutions per mile are listed slightly lower than the All Season.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I think the Goodyear representative was incorrect. As far as I know Wrangler SilentArmors have not been used on any production vehicles thus far. They were not even available until midway through the first year of Commander production.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had the Forteras as original equipment.

I got rid of them at 3,000 miles or so, and got the Bridgestone REVO's AT.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My 2 cents; The Fortera is a pretty good all season tire for a production vehicle compared to what Jeep has put on previous year models. If you really want all terrain tires, buy what you want and sell the stock ones while they are still new, you are not going to get full price but, you'll have the tires you want on your XK. Or as my wife tells me when I want new rubber on her XK, get over it:rolleyes: :D hee hee

·
Registered
110 Posts
My dealership sells the Commander w/ lift kits and Rubicon tires as a dealer modification but as far as factory tires are concerned it is the Fortera w/ white letters or w/out. It appears that even the 2007 Commander that started production this month also has the same tire. The only bad review I could find was by Auto World but that was specific to their slalom/cone course portion of their test review and I wouldn't expect such a vehicle/tire to do but so well there. I don't recall if the tire warranty as OEM gives a mile number but the same tire sold over the counter is a 70,000 mile tire and appears fairly top shelf for such a OEM SUV offering.

http://www.goodyear.com/media/pr/23073lt.html

I suspect something is off-base w/ this original post.

XKPearl

·
Registered
80 Posts
when i got my new jc it came with just road tyres not off road tyres, when i asked the dealer he said too many people complained about the road noise so jeep has decided to just put on high performance road tyres.
not much good to me up here in the outback of western australia. so I will be asking jeep for an explaination about this. Ill let you know how i go.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm a Goodyear dealer in Toronto. There are some minor differerences with the two tires...

Tread depth: OWL = 11/32", Black = 10/32"
Section Width: OWL = 9.8" 10.1"
Weight: OWL = 32.9lbs, 33.1lbs

Also, both use a diff material number. Not sure what that one means.

After the initial Fortera HL launch, the original tread compound was prone to premature wear problems. The official treadwear rating is 540 - 60.000 miles. About a year later (July '05 ?) the new Fortera Silent-Armour upped treadwear to 720 - 70,000 miles and also has Kevlar belts, rim guard sidewall and a special absorbent layer between tread and belt.
I was disappointed that our Limited did not come with Silent-Armours :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.