Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just got a 08 Jeep Commander 4x2 4.7 and am really injoying it. My wife told me about them and was the one that wanted it, I have never even heard of one, but sense I got it I am liking it more and more. It is a really tough vehicle. I have never owned a Jeep and I think I have been missing out.

My question is this: Sense we got a 4x2, is it pretty much a on-road vehicle? Does it have any off road capability? Not that I am going to go climbing mountains with it, but it might be fun to drive a easy trail or something.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
For the trails most of us run you will be fine with your 2 wheel drive, there are lots of easy trails where 4 wheel drive is not needed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Of course 4WD is best when running off-road, but it’s surprising how well a 2WD Jeep works off-road. It’s mostly about clearance and the tires. If you have this (and a limited-slip dif makes a 2WD much better), you can go off-road with confidence as long as you are prudent. Of course a 2WD won’t go where a 4WD can, but the proper setup will make your 2WD a decent off-road vehicle.

--Spike

·
Registered
175 Posts
mines 2 wheel drive and i have not pushed it yet. but it seems to do ok for what i've done. i put the rockyroad lift on and spacers. with a taller tire. it looks good and gives that extra clearance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
my old 2 wd ranger did wonders here in the desert. of course it was a cheap truck that i beat the ---- out of. mild prerunner but it was fun. i'm a little more hesitant with my xk.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You can always make your XK 4 Wheel Drive!

·
2,248 Posts
If you use common sense and use some of the tips on how to safely offroad you can go on most of the same trails. When you really need all four wheels is when either pushing thru snow or mud or when you are trying to climb a steep grade. Many times we just stay in two wheel drive until or even if we need four wheel drive. Also try not to climb over Pink Jeeps like Phunkeydude does, as that does require four wheel drive to get the front tires to climb over them Pink Jeeps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have gone in 2 wheel drive with my old jeep or cherokee plenty of places that people believe 4wd can go... just gotta be careful and be a good driver. the commander should do most easy trails and back road easliy... I love it!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I have gone in 2 wheel drive with my old jeep or cherokee plenty of places that people believe 4wd can go... just gotta be careful and be a good driver. the commander should do most easy trails and back road easliy... I love it!
I agree 100% A good driver can make up for what the vehicle lacks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I think you could go just about anywhere you wanted...... Tires and Technique bring as much to the table as the vehicle's ability.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Tires, tires, tires. For a 4x2 that's the biggest key to off roading. After that some clearance and technique.
I agree. Mounting the correct tires for the existing conditions is the first consideration.

• All-season tires are designed for “light duty.”
  • If you’re in mud and serious clay, you need an aggressive tread with self-clearing cleats.
  • If you are on frozen ground with snow and ice, a good set of snow tires is best.
  • If you on partially frozen ground that consists of clay and mud, adding chains makes a huge difference.
--Spike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts