Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see all these awesome pics, and I'm wondering: how do you guys keep your XKs in tip top shape (lack of dents, scratches, and etc.) with going off road so much, I want to know your secrets. :)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Apperently you have not seen my XK in person yet. I have scratches along both sides from the front all the way to the rear from the Pine Barrens Trail Ride back in August. Also a few parking lot dents from ignorant people!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I always try to keep a set of loppers...

...and a bow saw...

...on me when we are out on the trails. Keeps the big stuff from messing ya up too much.

Other than that, it's really all about taking the right lines. Most of the stuff that damages a lot of rigs on the trails is easily avoidable.

With my old Jeep (ZJ), I really couldn't have cared any less about scratches/dents. This one, though, I'm like you... kinda OCD about it.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Apperently you have not seen my XK in person yet. I have scratches along both sides from the front all the way to the rear from the Pine Barrens Trail Ride back in August. Also a few parking lot dents from ignorant people!
X2. Funny story about this. A couple weeks ago I was at the body shop where my wife's wrangler is being repaired. I pull up to the office (which has a big picture window) and walk inside. The guy inside says "oh I see you've got a Jeep that needs some work!" I stood there with a puzzled look on my face and wondering how the guy knew I was there for my wife's Jeep that the roll-back had dropped off. Then I turned and looked at my XK just outside the window and realized how we were both confused. "NO NO That one is just fine" I replied and explained why I was there. He then looked out the window at the Commander with the same puzzled look I just gave him. I guess some people see scratches and dents as bad things. I look at them as a story of the trails I have been on.

·
2,248 Posts
When I get to a spot that may cause body damage or scratches, I just pick it up to a hover and go around it. Then I set it back down and continue.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
The first day I took my XK out with less than 100 miles on it and installed my first "Arizona Pinstriping" I knew it was over. I have no dents (except on the underside) but the scratches are a plenty.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Yup, me too, scratches, dings, bumps and chips to go around. Someday, I'll get it repainted. Someday. But, I have a lot of other mods to go before that.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i have a lot of scratches, a lot of lower door dents. just recieved a new door dent from last weeks snow run, and the rockers are smashed really well.

the dents are my badge of honor!

damn, polar, i need to make your adapter plates. pm me will you!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Lots of Rocky Mountain pin striping and a scar from Moab.
Also lots of dings in the wheels and chunks missing from the sidewalls.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I like the pics or trail dammage!!! That should be a new thread!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, it's pretty cool...how these are "badges of honor"!!!!!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
My boss (he drives a lifted ZJ, please forgive him) gives me hell for parking away from people in our parking lot. I'll drag my bumper across a bunch of rocks but God help the person who opens their door into the side of my rig...

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I'll drag my bumper across a bunch of rocks but God help the person who opens their door into the side of my rig...
I agree 100%, If I put a scratch or dent in my Xk that is okay, but I am the only one allowed to do that!:grim:

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
My boss and I give each other a hard time but I love his ZJ. We lifted it a year and a half ago in his garage. It was nice to work on a solid axle rig. He stuck a limited slip in the front end and it's impressive where it will go. Here's the best shot I have of it from Kane Creek last year. To stay on topic, he works it pretty good and doesn't mind the damage. Later on this same trail, my poor spotting had his left rear come off a rock and he landed on his sliders hard. I told him he couldn't fire me because technically we weren't at work. He shrugged it off. "It's a Jeep!"

1 - 20 of 39 Posts