Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to get a little off topic, but does anyone know if there is a crate diesel available that will work in an '03 Wrangler (Rubicon model, 5spd manual)?

I used to have an 03 Rubicon, but with my son (among other reasons) I needed to upgrade and hence my commander. My old Rubicon went to my older brother who has now racked it up to about 180k miles and it is getting to need enough engine work that just a full replacement makes sense. My brother, who as a tree hugger I find it ironic drives a 13 mpg wrangler, would like to upgrade to a diesel for better economy and I like the idea since diesel is just a better engine, IMHO, if you care more about low end torque and durability than speed.

And, since I will be probably doing the swap for him I would like to make it more interesting than a simple (relative term) replacement. I tried good ole' google and found out that mopar did a research project with a diesel engine built for the Egyptian military with an eye to offering it as a crate engine, but I couldn't find a simple crate being sold anywhere... does anyone know if, 1) this idea came to fruition, or 2) barring that, if there is another crate engine that can be readily adapted for this function?

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
i know that if you search around putting a 4BT cummins diesel in a jeep isnt terribly difficult so long as the axles can handle the torque. my roommate and i are currently searching for a rolling CJ chassis to try and do this same swap. with a rubicon you should be good i think because both axles are dana 44s if i'm not mistaken. i dont know how the transmission would mate up but i think its possible from what i've heard. let me know if you try it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts