Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got word from Reina Gamez (reinag "at" knfilters.com) from K&N to confirm that they were able to rollover K&N Air Intake Kit No. 63-1545 to the V6 3.7L engine. I know there is a lot of us around here with the 3.7L that have been looking forward to upgrading our air intake to a pro K&N kit.

I hope this information is useful. If you have questions you can email Reina at the email above. Also, noticed I masked her email address so she doesn't get bombarded with spam.

I will try to research where this kit can be purchased for a good price.

INSTALLATION
http://www.kandn.com/instructions/63-1545.pdf

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL Funny!

I wanted to install this weekend so I called Autozone and Pepboys but they don't stock it. You can get it online from multiple places. I can't wait to install this mod. This is something I've been looking forward for a long time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HOLD ON EVERYBODY.... Now that I look at the picture of the kit, I don't see how it could fit the V6 which throtle body is on the side... I emailed the lady, let's see what she says.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Most likely it'll have a different intake tube.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well Reina got back to me. The site I got the original image from had the wrong picture. I updated the picture to show the correct one. Whoever does this upgrade first please post results. Thanks.

I just bought mine from Amazon at 209.00 2 day shipping free with a trial Prime Membership. I hope I remember to cancel the trial before the 30 days are over. :D

Does anyone know what "CARB Exempt: No" mean?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Dabitz said:
Does anyone know what "CARB Exempt: No" mean?
From what I've read, that means it's not legal in California because it does not meet emissions standards.

Another question: I've read in some reviews that you'll only realize gains if you also upgrade the exhaust. Reasoning is that increased air in requires increased exhaust out. Any opinions/experience/wisdom on this?

BTW, thanks for pointing out Amazon .... that's about $50 cheaper than the best price I found elsewhere.

·
Registered
527 Posts
webjones said:
Thanks, Dabitz - I'm excited.

Then again, maybe it's because of your avatar...
Ummmm. It's a cartoon............. :D

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I already had power gains with a custom intake that I bought of eBay, it actually made my V6 very responsive to the touch of the gas pedal. This intake will provide a bit of extra protection against water getting into the engine. Right now I don't have anything around the filter. I did some reading regarding the emission stuff. I'll just keep my OEM intake filter box around in case I need an inspection. New cars in Jersey don't get inspected until 4 years after purchase.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Dabitz said:
I'll just keep my OEM intake filter box around in case I need an inspection. New cars in Jersey don't get inspected until 4 years after purchase.
I believe it's only California standards. FIPK are so prevalent I doubt there's any problem with emissions inspections. I can't imagine someone taking the FIPK off and putting it back on every year...

I'll be interested in seeing what you think of it when installed. One thing I'm concerned about is the sound. Reviewers generally describe it as "throaty" (when they actually describe it as anything other than "sweet" or "awesome"), but a few have mentioned it makes a "whistling" noise. I'm not very fond of high-pitched sounds so that would really irritate me. If it's a "fluting" kind of sound I can deal with it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My current custom intake actually sounds like a vacum cleaner LOL, but you can't hear it inside the car with the windows closed. I order it already, I will post pics and results asap.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Dabitz said:
My current custom intake actually sounds like a vacum cleaner LOL, but you can't hear it inside the car with the windows closed. I order it already, I will post pics and results asap.

I was discussing with Mrs. Jones and her only comment was - "Wow! A guy who knows what a vacuum cleaner sounds like!"

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you get the price I got? 209 or something like that? I ordered 2 days ago but no shipping info yet. :-(

·
Registered
17 Posts
i should get mine tomorrow, ill try to get it on during lunch ill take some pics.
206.63 is a very low price i garrante you can only find online. you average instore price should be close to 289.99

streets-finest 561-333-4156 fl

·
Registered
17 Posts
im a salseman at streets-finest in south fl. i ordered it through one of my suppliers today and should have it tomorow or wed. so if you need one and live in south fl give us a call 561-333-4156 tell me that your from the forums ill give you a discounted price. or just stop on by.

1120 s crown way wellington fl 33414
561-333-4156

1 - 20 of 90 Posts