Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While camping this past summer I noticed that Fleetwood has a offroad style popup camper. I was wondering if anyone had one and how they like it. It would be great to have for offroad trips or just vacations. I really want to take an old camper that will cost alot less and build one myself for my needs. I want to use alot of the design features they have so if anyone knows about them and has any input please let me know.
http://www.fleetwoodcampingtrailers.com/series.aspx?id=3&sn=Evolution

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I saw one of those on sale here this week for $16,000 it had everything you would want including A/C and a restroom!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I've seen those out here, they are nice. I'm sure you can pick one up for less money sicne that's a luxury item and not selling well right now.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It would be fun to have something like that.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I like the one adamag showed in his link. It's loaded!!
I dont see why it wouldnt make it to places like Flagpole
.....go for it!

I would like to have one.........

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I was also looking at the possibility of getting one of those in the future. I was looking at them about a month ago. They seem really nice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We actually just picked up an E3 a couple of weeks ago. They look great behind the Commander. The '09's are a lot nicer inside with Cherry wood looking cabinets and tile looking floors. I am going to use the front storage for hauling the kids Jeep Hurricane Power Wheels and Bikes for now. We love it and don't have to worry about the ass end dragging through the sand on a lot of Wisconsin campsites. I will post picks in a couple of weeks when we go to Door County to see the Colors:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can't believe that several of you are looking this camper. I'm doing the same thing. I ordered the brochure from the company and have been lusting after it. It seems to be a good compromise withe the SWMBO and myself. I love primitive camping and she wants nice bed, hot water and ughmm, a flushable toilet. Now what really gets me is that my best friend just bought this and sent me a photo and I just about craped!! I couldn't believe it. :cool:

·
Registered
181 Posts
We have a [email protected] trailer that we frequently camp in. We looked at a popup but my wife wanted "hard sides" for security and warmth. The [email protected] can be raised and modded to do off-roading. Although we haven't modded ours, it's done well on some pretty rough roads. We really like it because it looks cool, is very lightweight, can be moved around by hand, has great interior features, and a neat tent-room that attaches to the side which doubles your space.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
consolidation the [email protected] teardrop trailers are awesome. my wife and myself are considering getting on of those ourselves, but we like the new [email protected] trailers since we have two kids to lug around with us. i think the closes dealer to me however is in CA or UT.

·
Registered
887 Posts
While camping this past summer I noticed that Fleetwood has a offroad style popup camper. I was wondering if anyone had one and how they like it. It would be great to have for offroad trips or just vacations. I really want to take an old camper that will cost alot less and build one myself for my needs. I want to use alot of the design features they have so if anyone knows about them and has any input please let me know.
http://www.fleetwoodcampingtrailers.com/series.aspx?id=3&sn=Evolution
I also have an older small pop up and have considered this for some time now. Are there any pics out there from DIY'ers.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We actually just picked up an E3 a couple of weeks ago. They look great behind the Commander. The '09's are a lot nicer inside with Cherry wood looking cabinets and tile looking floors. I am going to use the front storage for hauling the kids Jeep Hurricane Power Wheels and Bikes for now. We love it and don't have to worry about the ass end dragging through the sand on a lot of Wisconsin campsites. I will post picks in a couple of weeks when we go to Door County to see the Colors:)
Zim, thanks based on what you said I know now that a camper lift is definatly necessary. Is there anything about it that you would have done differently if you were designing it?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also have an older small pop up and have considered this for some time now. Are there any pics out there from DIY'ers.
When I finally get to doing my project I will be sure to take lots of pics an descriptions of all my varios mods.

·
Registered
181 Posts
consolidation the [email protected] teardrop trailers are awesome. my wife and myself are considering getting on of those ourselves, but we like the new [email protected] trailers since we have two kids to lug around with us. i think the closes dealer to me however is in CA or UT.
I haven't seen the [email protected] trailer in person. I think that if I were to go that route, there are other trailers of similar size that have more to offer. The [email protected] add-on room adds a lot of sleeping space. I've had three buddies come with me fishing, each of them sleeping on a cot in the tent room.

Plus, Dutchmen dropped the ball on [email protected]'s styling. And, you are right, the closest dealer to us is in San Bernardino. Vegas dealers quit selling them years ago. When my Commander arrives, we'll have to hang out and I'll give you a [email protected] tour.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like the [email protected] trailers the [email protected] is nice but the price is alittle more than I am looking for. There is a dealer about 40 mins from my house so I checked them out. I like the setup but they wanted just over $17,000 for a [email protected] TCS.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, phase one of my home made off road popup is complete. BTW phase one is getting a popup camper. It is a 19?? Colman Destiny with the 8' frame. I do not have a picture of the actual thing yet but I will put one in the post to show the approx size and setup. The total of the build so far is $0.00 (not including registration and insurance) But yes it was free! and it is in very nice condition and includes a sink with fresh water holding tank, propane stove, and refrigerator. It was my parents camper but they no longer want/need it so they gave it to me. I will post of picture of it once I pick it up and then on with the mods.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Nice. Are you bringing it to RC or are you still going to pitch a tent?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts