Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising the forum tonight and I finally noticed MMOPAR85's sig line:

"We're not paying 40 grand for a vehicle, just so you can take it off road and scratch it, you're not wheeling anymore in this Jeep!"
-The Wife
I read this to my wife (the TRUE owner of the Commander). Her response:

"Since you spent nearly 40 grand on a vehicle JUST so you can take it off road and scratch it, you DAMMNN WELL better take it off road. And I Better Be With You!"

Rule #1: Thou shalt not have fun without thy wife and kids.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I think this cuts to the essense of functional versus symbolism. While the guy may think of the XK as a functional vehicle that is designed for family fun, the wife thinks of it as a symbol of sucess and status.

My advice... 3 to 4 coats of wax wheel it good clean it well and rewax before you get home. Oh and do be selective on obsticles you attempt.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I could roll my XK down a hill and my wife would not care. If I were to roll her CJ down a hill she will be very VERY mad at me because she wants to be the one to roll HER CJ down the hill. She likes to off-road as much as me but she wants to be the driver.

·
Registered
319 Posts
YEAH!! LOL!! She told me that after a day 2 weekends back of pretty intense wheeling, a buddy of mine has a lifted 09' Rubicon W/35's he told me the trail wasn't bad at all and wouldn't hurt the Jeep! We went everywhere he went w/o a lift or tires. But man, we scraped and scraped all over the trail, skid plates, sides, roof, tires(took some descent chunks out of the sides of the Fortera's), rims, front/rear bumper, everywhere...She was mad, we got home(5 hrs. later, W'd and W'd it and took most of the scratches out, but it needs it again badly! bottom line is: I'm done wheeling until we get it lifted according to her. But what she doesn't know won't hurt her either...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I saw that sig last night as well. I thought "oh good I'm not alone".

While I like wheeling the XK I kinda agree. It's fun to take it out on some trails but it would be lots more fun if I wasn't worried about body damage and the like. After all I have to drive it to work everyday.

I've got my eye on a 70's cj5 that I could build up and just beat on when wheeling.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I too love to take my XK off road, the wife has no problem and usually goes with me but is sometimes bored. My thoughts when I purchased the XK is that I needed a big people hauler that would also double as a trail runner, the Commander fits the bill. The wife has no problems with any of the mods or trails as long as we can take others places when needed.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I think the biggest thing here is not to follow some one whose tires alone is 6"+ taller than yours. And never trust your buddy when he says aw you can make it...

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I bring the wife and kids along - more simultaneous camera angles with video and stills.

·
Registered
319 Posts
yeah, I figured I could trust him since he sold the thing to us, and before these things came out he participated in some kind of driving course throughout an entire day, it was "Commander training 101". He was right! We did make it, a few bumps and bruises later, but we did it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
she loves off road driving. as do both the kids, the eldest(7) actively looks for places we can go off road, although her enthusiasm does need curbing as some of the places she suggests would do a lot more than " it'll buff out " damage.

she likes going to visit her grandparents in the grim north as she gets chance to drive the Jeep off road on some of their land. hardly reaches the pedals but 4Lo and no throttle is fast enough for her at the moment :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts