Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
I went to a buddy’s place to do some wiring on a new hot-rod truck he’s building. He’s a master metal worker, and works at a garbage company as a fabricator and welder. He works with stainless steel a lot, and if you can imagine… his truck has a winch bumper and roll cage made of heavy stainless!

So… I’ve been thinking about making a ‘’floor’’ on the roof rack. The Surco's three slats don’t cut it most of the time unless it’s an object 3 feet across. Anything less in size falls thru.

I’d had in mind something like aluminum expanded mesh. I mention it to Dan, and he comes up with high tech stainless fish screen that came from a dam. (Scrap metal) So, we used special large head rivets and installed them with an air riveter. Fantastic! The stainless is high grade and will never rust, and was TOUGH to cut and fit for the rack. (The mesh is about 1/16 inch thick)

Later, after working on wiring etc. ‘til about 9pm, I head home. Now the satellite radio is intermittent… I covered up the sat antenna!! It depends of what direction I’m driving whether it works. **SIGH** Now, I’m going to have to move the [removed] antenna.

WHAT was Jeep thinking by putting the satellite radio antenna right where cargo will go?!? It’s right between the roof rails. Ford and Chevy put their little ‘’shark fin’’ antennas at the front of the cab area, why didn’t Jeep?!?

Please pardon the filthy sunroof.

·
2,248 Posts
How about cutting a square out above the antenna. How large of a piece would it take to get reception?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about that. But, that stuff is TOUGH. And the size of the needed hole is anyone's guess.

I might see about moving the thing instead. Hauling the Porta-Bote mostly blocks it anyway since it ends up over it. Like I said, the engineers were nitwits for putting the thing there in the first place. I have a feeling it was not Jeep though; probably 3rd party audio system designers decided on that location. If the rig has roof rails, it's going to have cargo, so why put the antenna right under where cargo sits?!?

·
2,248 Posts
The Porta Boat might not interfere with the sat. I have the full size factory roof pod and it covers the antenna but does not block reception. If the boat is not metal it might not block it also. I figured that the metal grill might be hard to cut by your first post. Maybe using a grinder to cut it and protect your rood finish with a flat sheet of some kind of of fire proof material. A square would be fairly easy to cut.

I do like the project. looks good, has great utility, and is unique.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Heavy foliage interferes with my sat. radio reception and my Thule Moab Basket only makes it worse. How large a hole do you think you would need to put in your rack floor to improve the situation? Is the satellite reception always near vertical or would it vary to how many degrees?

Just looked it up. There are satellites yes, but there are also ground repeater towers to rebroadcast the signals. So you will need a pretty unobstructed location to not interfere with the signal. Alternately, there are mast antennas for the Sirius. One I saw was 30". You leave it in place and just go up through and over.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It makes the sunroof look like a prison window! All in all, very nice setup sir.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It makes the sunroof look like a prison window! All in all, very nice setup sir.
Why, thank you. Thank you verrry much.

One thing's for sure, the rear sunroof glass is now hail-proof. :eyemouth: It does make for interesting shadows on the seats... like elongated pill tablets.

I noticed today that the XK is noticeably cooler inside. (When it's been parked) It's almost 90 degrees outside, but isn't bad in the rig. Now, there's a shiny reflective surface above the already white roof, and the rear sunroof glass is shaded. Hmmmmmmmmm.

I did slide the entire roof rack forward several inches. That helped. There's still six or so inches of rack over the antenna. When I get time, I'll look underneath (pull down the roof liner and trim) to see what the antenna looks like underneath. It may or may not be that hard to relocate. The rack can't slide much farther without ending up over the front sunroof.

I'm not that keen on the idea of a hacked hole. By some miracle, the stainless mesh was the needed size, we just needed to trim off the corners. If we'd had to cut an entire end off, we'd still be at it now I'm sure. :) We pretty much ruined a pair of large tin snips, but so it goes. :eek:rangehat:

Seriously, Dan would've just had to get the plasma cutter going, but it almost fit in the first place, so we just cut the corners off about an inch. If I end up making a satellite antenna 'window' we'll just remove the rack and lay it on the cutting table.

Dan has a pile of the things left. I think he's going to use them on a sand-rail he's going to build soon. (Like fill-in pieces on the roll cage)

On edit and a semi-related note:

The mesh makes no difference in wind noise. (I was wondering if expanded mesh with it's flat edges etc. would make wind noise, but this stuff is die-punched and flat) I've been playing around to get rid of the ''screaming banshees'' ever since I added the split length of 4'' ABS pipe. The half-pipe on the front helps a LOT with wind roar, but there's still whistles left. I just bought a genuine Mopar chrome bug shield from eBay for $104. (Complete with a Jeep logo) We'll have to see if that modifies the wind flow up & over the roof rack. (stay tuned) At the very least it should help for insect suicides on the windshield. :)

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
Very nice, I too have the same issue with antenna location. Anytime I use my rack I loose reception and they designed the rear cross bar to sit right over the antenna.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I tried sliding my Basket to the forward most indents in the rails, it caused a great deal of wind buffeting at highway speeds. It got to the point where the rear view mirror and sunroof were vibrating very noticeably. This may be unique to the Thule Basket with the valance just getting a little too much lift when combined with the natural rise in the XK stadium seating roof line.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I canceled my Sirius, I don't worry about it anymore! :D

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Run the satellite antenna wires out and solder them to that big metal mesh. You'll be listening to China National Radio. Who knows, you might discover ET.
Now, THERE'S an idea!! :D

I canceled my Sirius, I don't worry about it anymore! :D
Mine's still active since I bought my lease return. I'm not gonna' rock the boat by calling Sirius. :eek:rangehat:

So... today is going to be hot again. I'll see if the thing still acts as a big heat sink like it did yesterday. I left the sunroof in vent position this time. I think I might've accidently made life easier for the trip down into Monument Valley etc. after the XK rally at Silverton.

I washed the Jeep last night too... all the thick farm dirt is gone off the mesh now, and it's pretty shiny. It's downright dull looking in the above photos, but not any more! That'll keep the sun off the roof!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I suppose you know but in case you or others aren't aware, truckers often run an external antenna for Sirius. They range from small little wafers to something about the size of a small upside down cup with various length shafts for connections to vehicles.

It would just be a matter of deciding where best to make the change in antena cable.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suppose you know but in case you or others aren't aware, truckers often run an external antenna for Sirius. They range from small little wafers to something about the size of a small upside down cup with various length shafts for connections to vehicles.

It would just be a matter of deciding where best to make the change in antenna cable.
That's another option since we are, after all, a communications shop. I might just order another one and install it up front where it should've been in the first place. That means removing the dash etc. but so it goes.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Yah, I figured you were on top of it, Adondo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts