Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I am a new owner of a 2010 Jeep Commander as of this week. Love this Jeep to death. I was doing some reading in the manual and it saids to change the oil every 6,000 miles or 6 months whatever comes first. Currently i have 19k miles.

I am use to changing oil every 3-3500 miles. Is 6000 good to change the oil or less? What oil as well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's what I was wondering too, I usually change every 5000km (3106 mi ~3000mi). But if 6000mi is ok then that will save me 1/2 of what I usually pay for in a year on changes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Only you know what your driving conditions and habits are. Manufacturers may say 3K-6K miles depending on how you drive, when you drive, where you drive, etc...

I would err on the side of caution and do your oil changes at 3K miles. I have always done mine at 3K and do so on the Commander as well. Maybe I could get away with more...but to me, doing it at 3K is peace of mind.

And if you can, do it yourself. I wouldn't trust those oil jockeys at some lube place. It also allows you to look around under the car for any other leaks or other issues that may arise.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have always done mine around 3,000 miles give or take and use full synthetic mobil 1. At least this way I know my engine should last a while. In the winter months I use a bottle of lucas as well. Helps with cold starts.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Synthetic oil can last well over 6,000 miles depending on several factors: city/highway driving, engine, oil filter, and many more.

You can send your used oil to a lab where they test the oil. These test results can determine if you engine oil is "bad"/over due.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I use Mobil 1 oil with a Wix filter and change the oil every 5,000 miles with no guilt.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Synthetic oil can last well over 6,000 miles depending on several factors: city/highway driving, engine, oil filter, and many more.

I use Mobil 1 oil with a Wix filter and change the oil every 5,000 miles with no guilt.
I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my smart and for that vehicle the recommended oil change is every 10,000 miles (my project for this weekend).

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
While we're talking about oil changes, does anyone have an opinion about K&N oil filters? I called K&N about my air filter warranty. After I asked them what makes their oil filter better. The tech said that their media works similarly to their air filter media: high flow (16 gal/min), better particle filtering plus a valve that keeps oil from draining from the heads (?) and thus preventing dry starts. Does anyone have any experience with this filter brand? What about the dry start claims? If the filter does help with that, then the cost premium would be worth it. BTW, the tech said that K&N advises oil changes to be done according to OEM schedules; no extended duty recommended, for which a 5k replacement interval for synthetic oil seems logical and more than adequate to me.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

K&N

HP-3001

This filter is a very close match to the Mobil 1 filter, which like this one also uses the original "performance" version of the Champion Labs design. The only unique attribute to this filter is the nut welded to the back of the can. This may be handy during removal, but it does increase the overall length of the can which can lead to clearance problems if things are already tight. They make oil filter wrenches in various styles for a reason. The K&N is an expensive filter for what it is, and you can save $2 by getting the Mobil 1 instead.

K&N air filters are fabric filters with large openings between the woven threads, that allows higher air flow, but would also allow more dirt to pass through them normally. BUT, it doesn't allow more dirt to pass through them because you oil the fabric and the oil, by its very nature, attracts and catches the dirt and holds it in the fabric.

I haven't seen any real evidence K&N filters do NOT protect engine adequately. I have seen tests that have shown some evidence that cloth/oil air filters do let more fine dirt pass then typical paper air filters. That doesn't necessarily mean your engine is NOT protected well enough if you use K&N. K&N usually does flow more air than typical paper and often will give you a bit of a power boost.

I don't see how that concept transfers over to an oil filter, the K&N rep may just have meant that K&N Oil Filters, like their Air Filters flow more while still filtering as well as traditional filters.

Only thing I have heard for K&N oil filters is word of mouth anti-dotal evidence, i.e. people say they are great, the company does have a good reputation and is trusted.

I have 200k miles on my Neon R/T using a K&N air filter with a CAI that places the air filter just above the road, where there is lots of dirt. It still makes just a much power as when new, which would NOT be the case if the air filter was letting lots of dirt into the motor. Yes, I'd say a good quality paper filter is probably the most likely to keep the most dirt out of the motor, but if your willing to risk it for maybe a few extra HP, I wouldn't be worried about using a K&N filter, as long as you clean it and re-oil it often enough. I have NOT heard of anyone complaining of engine damage because they used a K&N air filter.

Oil Filters, personally I use Hasting Filters and I have cut them open and found them to be remarkedly similiar to Mobil1 filters, the Hasting actual had more surface area to the filter media. Its hard to tell the quality of filter media by appearance.

Mobil1 and K&N I'm sure are great filters, only thing to consider, are they worth the price when likely Wix, Purolator and Hastings are protecting as well for less money? I don't think anyone could answer that definetively though, it would just be opinion.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Thanks, Mongo...

for another educational and cogent reply. I learned a lot from your post and the oil filters page. I suspected as much re: K&N oil filters, to wit overpriced and, although good quality, not really enough added value for the price premium. Their air filter I have long experience with and can't say enough good things about. I'm running one in Large Marge and will continue as long as I own her. I really appreciate your input. Cheers. Jorge

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I was wondering too, I usually change every 5000km (3106 mi ~3000mi). But if 6000mi is ok then that will save me 1/2 of what I usually pay for in a year on changes.
The more I read, I am going to go by the oil change light which is usually occurring for people around the 6k mark. Even though the dealer's state every 3k, i believe it to be the past time. Our engines, etc are better now days. So I am going to stick to the light or mileage/months, whichever comes first.

Referring to the manufacture for now.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Engine Oil Viscosity (3.7L/4.7L/5.7L Engines) SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures. Use Mopar or an equivalent oil meeting the specification MS-6395.

Be advised Mobil Synthetics do not meet the specification MS-6395.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-super/mobil-super

I only post this for anyone with an extended warranty.

I had to go back and look, I was tracking this a few years ago, and supposedly it was in testing 2-3 years ago, but still not showing up on Mobil-1 data sheets. It is approved on regular Mobil non-synthetic oil. I would say its fine to use, but if you have a warranty with a Chrysler stealership, they could screw you over this. Stealerships use Pennzoil synthetics, so it’s probably some political issue…..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts