Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have a 2009 Commander 3.7L
Anyone knows how to reset the advertisement for oil change? can i do that myself or only the dealer can reset that with his computer?

·
Banned
277 Posts
To reset it in the EVIC, you should only have to hold the reset button down for a few seconds...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you referring to the advertisment on the nav or the dash evic?

On the nav its a selection under the vehicle maintenance tab, and those notices only appear on the nav screen.

On the evic if your getting the "perform service" message, if you step through the screens until it says "miles until service 0" or some text to that effect, press and hold the reset button for 3 seconds and it will reset to what you have configured under "service interval" in the EVIC setup. If you change the service interval in the evic setup a option also appears at that time to reset the service distance, but only during that setup session. (page 197 of the manual)
With the reset button, another thing I found was that if you hold it for more than 3 seconds on any screen other than the "miles to service" screen all the displays are reset to 0. (page 196)

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Are you referring to the advertisment on the nav or the dash evic?

On the nav its a selection under the vehicle maintenance tab, and those notices only appear on the nav screen.

On the evic if your getting the "perform service" message, if you step through the screens until it says "miles until service 0" or some text to that effect, press and hold the reset button for 3 seconds and it will reset to what you have configured under "service interval" in the EVIC setup. If you change the service interval in the evic setup a option also appears at that time to reset the service distance, but only during that setup session. (page 197 of the manual)
With the reset button, another thing I found was that if you hold it for more than 3 seconds on any screen other than the "miles to service" screen all the displays are reset to 0. (page 196)
That method will not work on 2008 and up models. Here is the procedure for the 2008 and up Commanders:

Engine Oil Change Indicator System

Oil Change Required
Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change
indicator system. The “Oil Change Required” message
will flash in the EVIC display for approximately 10
seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate the
next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change
indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the
engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon
your personal driving style.
Unless reset, this message will continue to display each
time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN
position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and
release the MENU button. To reset the oil change indicator
system (after performing the scheduled maintenance)
refer to the following procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not
start the engine).

2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times
within 10 seconds.

3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Wow Jeep5253, you should've just copied and pasted what you had already posted in that thread, the rest of the thread makes you look like a jerk. You're quick to correct people and it seems like you always have to be right so you must be perfect.

Anyways... I too have a 2008 and the 3 depressions of the accelerator did not work for me even after a few attempts. According to my manual that is how you reset it, at least for my XK. After I took it in for an oil change they were able to reset it somehow. If the depression of the accelerator didn't work I wonder what did? Maybe it's how much or how fast you depress the accelerator?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks. I'm new to the forum... I just bought my 2010 Jeep commander a couple of weeks back but the oil change light came on 2 days ago. Changed the oil last night but couldn't figure out how to reset the indicator. The 3 pedal depress worked on the first try. I hope this commander lasts as long as the 99 Cherokee 4.0L it just replaced... 200k on the odometer and still going strong. Gave it to my parents... Runs great, and no rust after 12 years in the great white north. Again, thanks for helping me solve my problem... I didn't get an owners manual with my Commander.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks. I'm new to the forum... I just bought my 2010 Jeep commander a couple of weeks back but the oil change light came on 2 days ago. Changed the oil last night but couldn't figure out how to reset the indicator. The 3 pedal depress worked on the first try. I hope this commander lasts as long as the 99 Cherokee 4.0L it just replaced... 200k on the odometer and still going strong. Gave it to my parents... Runs great, and no rust after 12 years in the great white north. Again, thanks for helping me solve my problem... I didn't get an owners manual with my Commander.
You can download an Owner's Manual for free here---> http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did your Commander come with a CD-ROM? The owner's manual is on that. I thought I didn't have one either and found it on there after I had already downloaded one. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
"Oil Change Require" Display, 2009, 3.7

Jeep5253 - Same issue here, reset worked as written. Thanks for your post. Downloaded manual & guide, easier to word search.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Jeep5253 - Same issue here, reset worked as written. Thanks for your post. Downloaded manual & guide, easier to word search.
Glad I could help.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times
within 10 seconds.
Anyways... I too have a 2008 and the 3 depressions of the accelerator did not work for me even after a few attempts. According to my manual that is how you reset it, at least for my XK. After I took it in for an oil change they were able to reset it somehow. If the depression of the accelerator didn't work I wonder what did? Maybe it's how much or how fast you depress the accelerator?
I have 2010 Commander, 3.7L/NAG1/QT1

The reset per the owners manual instruction has worked everytime for me.

Like the instructions state "fully" depressed, "slowly", so I figure that means the pedal has to travel 100% full motion and slowly and smoothly. I have my foot off the pedal to make sure it is all the way up, turn on the ignition and then place my foot on the pedal and slowly and smoothly press it all the way down to the floor and then slowly and smoothly raise it up to include removing my foot from the pedal to make sure it goes all the way up, repeat for a total of three times.

Obviously NOT so slow that I exceed 10 seconds to do the whole thing.

I always get a chime and a message in the evic stating the "Oil Change Warning Reset".

I did NOT see Jeep5253's earlier post, but in his defense, he has always made short, concise and to the point post, in a matter of a fact way. I've never been offended by that, NOR did I see anything he's posted be offensive, he just states it clear and to the point, don't be offended by it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I found that i had the same issue on on mine, and found i had to go into the MENU button, and scroll thru , and reset it there. The MENU button was located in the group where the TEMP/DIR , etc buttons are. It is the button, on mine, used for language,headlights on with wipers, sound horn when locking, etc... I just had to scroll thru.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts