Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My change oil light just came on and I only have/had around 2500 miles on it. What's up with that? I know GM goes by engine revolutions and not miles, I know my Jeep doens't have that many revol's on it, and if they just set a milage, why the hell is it set to 2500 miles. Most cars, set to revolutions, go off somewhere between 4500-5500 miles, or around there. Anyway, I was very surprised to see this. Called the dealer/service, he was like, uh, I guess someone set it different. Who is someone?????????? Why isn't it standard. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

RT

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, very good. I'm at the firestation today and didn't have time to go mess with it, but that's what I was hoping. I'll be running synthetic after the first change, so 4000 sounds like a good number to set it at. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I've always been a fan of monitoring the oil through the first couple miles on a new vehicle. Just check the oil on the dipstick every now and then, just to see how quickly it's getting dirty, if you find any particles in it, etc. You never know exactly how a new engine is going to react on the road. Ya dig?

·
Registered
106 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
You can set your own service intervals in the EVIC. I have mine set for 4000 miles.
Really? I didn't see anything in the manual about that, or while messing with the EVIC. Can you still do that on 2008? How?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
RGTWNG said:
Really? I didn't see anything in the manual about that, or while messing with the EVIC. Can you still do that on 2008? How?
Hmmm... not sure on the 2008. Do you have the MyGig (with or without navigation), if so it might be tied into the reminder settings in there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went through the evic settings and couldn't find anything there or through the MyGig. I guess I'm going to have to break down and read. Dang it:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went through everything, I don't get a maintenance reminder heading. Are you sure you can still do this on an 08? I'm going to go get my manual right now, but I've gone through everything and just can't find anywhere to input or change this.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I went through my manual and found "service reminders" listed under "trip" in the menu. However, when you flip to the next page and they explain all the listings under "trip", like DTE (distance to empty), Trip A, Trip B, they never list, explain, or re-mention anything about service reminders. When I select trip in my 08 under menu, it never lists anything about maintenance. Plus, my manual says the change oil indicator comes on based on "duty cycles" which my change due to your driving habits. Which is more like what I was use to with my Infiniti & Tahoe, based on engine revolutions. However, with that said, 2500 damn miles. That's ridiculous. I drive very normal and seldom "get on it". Why on earth would it call for a change at 2500 miles when the service manual recommends every 6000.

RT

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, just called the service dept. at Jeep and finally got someone that knew more about the vehicle than the last dip I talked to. He said the 08's or at least my vehicle, is based on engine rev's or duty cycles, and that I must have a "glich" or something for it to go off at 2500. At least I'm not losing my mind.

·
Registered
452 Posts
firedude said:
Ok, just called the service dept. at Jeep and finally got someone that knew more about the vehicle than the last dip I talked to. He said the 08's or at least my vehicle, is based on engine rev's or duty cycles, and that I must have a "glich" or something for it to go off at 2500. At least I'm not losing my mind.
Yeah, keep your sanity... woow, something new to learn on the 08's. How odd! Take it in the dealership, and then have them walk you through any questions you have w/ the EVIC and maintenance reminders.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
5.7 Hemi, it's an Overland. I don't know what they can walk me through on service reminders, like I said, that doesn't come up through the menu functions on mine. Unless you can program it to with the startech. I did have my mirror tilt and running lights activated last time I went in. Once again, they knew nothing about this, the service manager came out, plugged in, and said well lets see what we can do. We found the options, and he learned something that day. Aren't these forums great for the dissimenation of information. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hate to dig up an old thread, but has anyone ever figured out what the deal is with the lack of evic setting for the service reminder on the 2008? How do you change the setting, or are you unable to? Does it automatically reset when you change the oil, or do you have to do something else? Mine never came on and I am @ 3100 miles.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My 08 did the same, you can get a oil change if you want, but if you want to wait, you can reset it yourself, I think by putting you key in but not starting the engine, and pressing the gas pedal 5 times, worked for me, there is a thread on the topic if my instruction weren't go enough.:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You cannot set it on the 08's, or at least that's what I was told by service. I'm at 5500 miles right now and my change oil light just came on, as I was coming to work today. This will be oil change number two with Synthetic. This is going to get expensive if it's every 2500-3000 miles. I normally change between 4-5k with synthetic.

·
Registered
487 Posts
on all the diesels I have ever had I change the oil and filters evry 6 months/6000 miles and never once have i had a problem.

my dad taught me this and his old car (1985 VW who he sold to a friend of a friend and still sees regularly) is still running on the same engine with 350K miles on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts