Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 with 5.7L HEMI. I have read many threads on here about the Commander/HEMI combo being finicky about oil and filters, so I always changed my own oil. Last time, however, I was tempted to take my vehicle to a Valvoline Instant Oil Change because I was pressed for time and I had a coupon.

BIG MISTAKE!!! - Jeep ran fine for about 1500 miles, then the oil light started coming on and off. I checked the oil level and found it to be 1 qt. low. I usually don't even check my oil because at 90K miles, it doesn't leak or burn enough to even notice. Best I can figure, they shorted me a quart on the oil change. Next, I looked down at the oil filter to make sure it wasn't leaking, and the darn thing looked TINY! Anyone who has changed their own knows that the oil filter on the 5.7L is about the size of two cans of tuna stacked atop one another. The oil filter they installed was the size of a small can of tomato juice.

I called the store and they looked up their service records and repeated to me that they installed a 117 filter, which is what their computer shows. I told them the actual filter size and he said that equated to a 106 in their stock, but that was NOT the correct filter for the vehicle. I made the guy look it up on the internet and he eventually admitted that their computer was probably wrong, but there should be nothing wrong with the one they put on there, and he wouldn't change it. Instead, he had me call an 800 number to complain to their customer service department. I tried to call the number and got nowhere.

I changed the oil and filter myself (used a WIX 51085 and Mobil 1 5W20) and the oil light went out. No telling how much damage was done, but furtunately for me, I caught it earlier rather than later. I guess time will tell.

I caution all who read this thread that the largest oil-change chain in America is using the wrong products on your Jeep and they refuse to admit that they have a problem. As with so many things in life, if you want it done right you should do it yourself, or at least take it to a qualified operation to have it done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
not a fan of valvoline places,
i had a coupon for a free change,
they ended up putting in thier next gen oil,
which is 50% recycled oil,
I changed it a few months later with 5w30 high mileage and a mopar filter,

before people chime in that u can only use 5w20 with MDS, just know that outside
of the USA most countries cannot get 5w20 and everyone uses 5w30 even dealers

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
before people chime in that u can only use 5w20 with MDS, just know that outside
of the USA most countries cannot get 5w20 and everyone uses 5w30 even dealers
Where are you located ?

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I know this is a old thread but this is an very old story so here goes. In 1975 I bought a new Ford van had a pukey 351W for power all that and 9mpg . So at my first oil change I used Valvoline oil and at about 1000k on the oil change I checked the oil there wasn't any showing on the stick I like to crap my pants. So I bought some Pennzoil oil and changed out the Valvoline and everything was okey dokey haven't used Valvoline since and have used nothing but Pennzoil since.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
I caution all who read this thread that the largest oil-change chain in America is using the wrong products on your Jeep and they refuse to admit that they have a problem. As with so many things in life, if you want it done right you should do it yourself, or at least take it to a qualified operation to have it done.
06HEMIinKY;

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but, like you said - at least you caught it early.

This is exactly why I have all of my maintenance and repairs done at the dealership.

Yes it may cost a little more - but at least I know it's done right - and if something goes wrong, they will stand behind their work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts