1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I knew machinery can be very forgiving so I have not been as diligent as I should have been with oil changes, 3 months or 3000 miles. I usually go 7000 to 8000 miles between changes.

I try and get the best oil I can afford or go to the dealer most often.

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew machinery can be very forgiving so I have not been as diligent as I should have been with oil changes, 3 months or 3000 miles. I usually go 7000 to 8000 miles between changes.

I try and get the best oil I can afford or go to the dealer most often.
7-8,000 miles between changes is OK if you are using a very high quality synthetic oil and filter. I wouldn't trust the dealer to use a high quality oil or filter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't use synthetic oil. However, I have been changing oil since I was 16 years old when I worked at a Texaco station on the interstate near my home town. Oil then, and oil now has a gritty feel when drained. Nothing like the new oil that I replace it with. I still stand by the old addage, 3,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I usually use synthetic and always a Fram filter.
Not a big fan of Fram filters, I don't think they filter nearly as well as the OEM or a Mobil1 filter. That said, I go 6k with Mobil1 5W-30 and matching Mobil1 filter, haven't had an issue yet.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I get $12.00 oilcahges w/tire rotation at the dealer. With that price I do every 3000 without question.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't usually pay any attention to the 3 months but I do change it every 3000 whether it takes two months or 5 to get there. I thought I read here somewhere that conventional oils are pretty much all the same so I buy whats on sale or is the best price. Usually Quaker State which is typically $10/5 qts at Walmart. I also always use OEM filter which I pick up at Wally World when I buy the oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I paid for all my oil and filter changes from the dealer, that way I know they will be using oem parts and recomended oil. They told me that I did not need to change my oil every three thousand and it was also recomended by the Darn Car Manuel that I change the oil ever 5500 miles! No way, I may be old school and stuborn, but when it comes to makeing my parts of the engine last I still made my oil change contract for 3000 mile intervals. Hope my baby last me a long time.

R/
George (socal)

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
One of the more misunderstood elements of vehicle maintenance eh?

I have developed several service intervals because of my many vehicles and their varied usage.
I use Mobil 1 oil.
A few years ago, Mobil lost a lawsuit brought on by the other major oil makers.
They wanted Mobil to cease using the term 'synthetic' as the other companies had developed a way to remove the components in oil that produce (industry term) 'Wax'.
This required a synthesizing process that had been developed.
As a result, they wanted to market this mineral oil, that had gone through a synthesizing process, as a 'Symthetic' product.

The case rattled around in the court system for a year or so.
Ultimatly, Mobil lost the case, and from that point forward there have been many oils marketed as 'Synthetic'.

At that time, Mobil introduced its Mobil 1 Synthetic Extended Mileage oil.
It has a 15000 or once a year, service rating as long as the filters are changed at the recommended interval and the oil topped off at every filter change.
This is now Mobil's ONLY ester based true synthetic motor oil.

The product labeled 'Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil' is, and has been, a synthesized mineral based oil, just like the products the other companies have been producing.

For the record, this, and the others, are exceptional lubricants, and represent the finest refining processes available at this time......but....

If you want to use a true, ester (not hydrocarbon) based oil, the choices remain ONLY Mobil 1 extended mileage or Amsoil.

As you can see, the inventors of the ester based synthetic process got screwed by the system.
In the case of Amsoil, it no longer can say it is one of the two producers of a ester based lubricant......they had to modify their advertising and their competition went from one to all, 'synthesized' oil manufacturers.

In Mobil's case, they got screwed because they had advertised the superiority of ester based synthetic lubricants......now they cannot, and they too have to compete with the other suppliers of the new, 'synthesized' lubricants.

To sum up the oil discussion, if you want a true, ester based synthetic lubricant your choices remain only two.....Mobil 1 Extended Mileage or Amsoil.
BTW, the Mobil 1 Extended is available at Wally as well.....it is generally $4.00 more for a 5 qt. jug.

Regarding oil filters.....my observations and opinions.
First, an engine that recieves timely oil change maintenance, using a high quality oil, does not need these 'zillion micron' oil filters.
That is because, with good timely maintenance, there is never any debris in the engine that requires filtration at that level.
Truth be told, the super filters are needed for those that do poor maintenance.....the crowd that says 'why change it, oil lasts forever'......those are the engines that will be loosening built up internal debris immediatly after an oil change and will be using a filters capabilities to its fullest.

Food for thought,

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts