Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My month old Commander had the "Oil Change Due" message pop up this morning, although the vehicle has only 2500 miles on it.

Is this an "early warning", or is it because these things are on a time/mileage and the thing sat in the showroom all summer and the timer finally kicked in?

Oil appears fine, but of course one can't go by appearances.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
You can set the time frame yourself, your previous owner set it for 2,500.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can set the time frame yourself, your previous owner set it for 2,500.
No previous owner, it's new out of the box. Well, the showroom anyway :rofl:.

I'll RTFM and see how to set it to something a little less pessimistic.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
No previous owner, it's new out of the box. Well, the showroom anyway :rofl:.
Maybe dealer set it to 2,500 to get you in early for the first oil change. Easy to change to 3,000.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
A recent addition to my 'FLEET' is a 08 Malibu.
It has a oil change monitor. It reads in oil life remaining expressed as percentage.
For example 48% OIL LIFE REMAINING.
It bases its calculations on, number of startups, how long run, ambient temp at startup,
miles travelled, and time measured in days.
Lotta mumbo jumbo and I'm not comfortable when the car has 6000 miles on the oil and it still says 30% remaining.
So, I kinda wish it was like the Jeep inasmuch as you can preload your change intervals, and it helps you remember.
Instead, I still have to write down my last change mileage, cause I'm sure not leaving oil in there for 9000 miles. (Manual says can go up to 12 months before alert)

My thoughts,
Rob

·
Registered
887 Posts
Mine also cam on around the same mileage. The Dodge dealer down the street taught me how to reset it...
(This is what I remember but I will call tomorrow to confirm)
Turn the key fob in the ignition to acc
hit the brake pedal 3 times
turn the ignition to off

This will reset the oil change reminder. I went ahead and changed my oil the first time just to be on the safe side (probably just being paranoid) but now follow the guidelines based on the type of oil I am using.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A recent addition to my 'FLEET' is a 08 Malibu.
It has a oil change monitor. It reads in oil life remaining expressed as percentage. For example 48% OIL LIFE REMAINING.
It bases its calculations on, number of startups, how long run, ambient temp at startup, miles travelled, and time measured in days.
Lotta mumbo jumbo and I'm not comfortable when the car has 6000 miles on the oil and it still says 30% remaining.
So, I kinda wish it was like the Jeep inasmuch as you can preload your change intervals, and it helps you remember.
Instead, I still have to write down my last change mileage, cause I'm sure not leaving oil in there for 9000 miles. (Manual says can go up to 12 months before alert)

My thoughts,
Rob

If it's running Mobil 1, it probably can. We had a C5 Corvette and the oil change was "when the computer said so" or 1 year, whichever came first. I think there was some ridiculous number of miles that was the max. 'vettes sometimes see a lot of garage time (mine was stored during the winter months) so the year seemed reasonable to me. Chevy stands behind the recommendation.

I was a little surprised on the Commander to see that it needs plugs at, I think, 30,000 miles. Newer vehicles have pretty close tolerances, better air/fuel mixtures, not as much blow by as in the old days, less to foul things up, etc. I don't have the manual out, but as I recall the '08 Commander 3.7 is rated at 6,000 miles between oil changes. Considering that Chrysler is recommending the interval and also guaranteeing the internal motor bits and pieces for the life of the vehicle, it seems reasonable to me that 6,000 miles should be good.

I was a little surprised when the dash warning came on this morning.

I know a lot of folks swear by the 3,000 mile marker - but when I started driving in 1966 the recommended interval was...3,000 miles. Surely to goodness there has been some improvement in oils and engines. (Don't see too many folks loading up with 10W40 anymore :) ). So I happily go with the maintenance schedule of whatever is in the owner's manual and so far I've not had any oil related issues.

Except that it's pricey as the dickens when it's purchased in crude form by the barrel. :rofl:.

I've no issue with others who feel safer changing at 3,000 miles - but 2,500 seems a little...premature...on a brand new Jeep.

I gotta go read the manual on setting the meter on this thing...

Thanks for everyone's input - post a note at work and have definitive answers by the time ya get home. Ya have to love this place!

Regards,

Jim

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Mine also cam on around the same mileage. The Dodge dealer down the street taught me how to reset it...
(This is what I remember but I will call tomorrow to confirm)
Turn the key fob in the ignition to acc
hit the brake pedal 3 times
turn the ignition to off

This will reset the oil change reminder. I went ahead and changed my oil the first time just to be on the safe side (probably just being paranoid) but now follow the guidelines based on the type of oil I am using.
I thought it was the accelerator not the brake. Other than that you are correct.

·
Registered
451 Posts
BRAND NEW??? Well first off I'm jealous! Second, I would change it asap then set the service interval to 3000 miles if your using conventional Oil. 3000 is what the manual says unless your not towing, not off roading, not using E85, No trips less than 10 miles, not doing over 50% highway driving, blah blah, blah.... There are complete threads on this topic and the use of synthetic oils, etc.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BRAND NEW??? Well first off I'm jealous! Second, I would change it asap then set the service interval to 3000 miles if your using conventional Oil. 3000 is what the manual says unless your not towing, not off roading, not using E85, No trips less than 10 miles, not doing over 50% highway driving, blah blah, blah.... There are complete threads on this topic and the use of synthetic oils, etc.
JJSEBASTIAN -

No need to be jealous - it's pretty much a low end Commander, not many options, small 6, no low range.

On the 3,000 mile schedule, the '08 manual differs:

Page 443, 2008 Owner Manual:

Maintenance Items Miles Kilometers or Months
Change the engine oil and engine oil filter 6,000 10 000 6

Of course I realize that 6,000 is the far range; but I don't tow, don't (intentionally) go off road, don't see a lot of stop 'n go. And if Chrysler will honor the warranty for the life of the vehicle at that interval...seems like a waste to change it at half that. I'm thinkin' a move to Mobil1 (not for the longevity factor, it's just a very effective lubricant) and change at the factory recommended settings.

Nice vehicle, tho, even for a low end model. I'm looking forward to the first good snow here to see how it handles the white stuff.

It was nice to reset that dashboard reminder tho - those things drive me crazy until the issue is resolved. (Of course, that's their entire purpose..to drive ya nuts until ya get whatever it's yelling about fixed. :rofl:)

Looks like this weekend I'll do the first oil change.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If it's running Mobil 1, it probably can. We had a C5 Corvette and the oil change was "when the computer said so" or 1 year, whichever came first. I think there was some ridiculous number of miles that was the max. 'vettes sometimes see a lot of garage time (mine was stored during the winter months) so the year seemed reasonable to me. Chevy stands behind the recommendation.

I was a little surprised on the Commander to see that it needs plugs at, I think, 30,000 miles. Newer vehicles have pretty close tolerances, better air/fuel mixtures, not as much blow by as in the old days, less to foul things up, etc. I don't have the manual out, but as I recall the '08 Commander 3.7 is rated at 6,000 miles between oil changes. Considering that Chrysler is recommending the interval and also guaranteeing the internal motor bits and pieces for the life of the vehicle, it seems reasonable to me that 6,000 miles should be good.

I was a little surprised when the dash warning came on this morning.

I know a lot of folks swear by the 3,000 mile marker - but when I started driving in 1966 the recommended interval was...3,000 miles. Surely to goodness there has been some improvement in oils and engines. (Don't see too many folks loading up with 10W40 anymore :) ). So I happily go with the maintenance schedule of whatever is in the owner's manual and so far I've not had any oil related issues.

Except that it's pricey as the dickens when it's purchased in crude form by the barrel. :rofl:.

I've no issue with others who feel safer changing at 3,000 miles - but 2,500 seems a little...premature...on a brand new Jeep.

I gotta go read the manual on setting the meter on this thing...

Thanks for everyone's input - post a note at work and have definitive answers by the time ya get home. Ya have to love this place!

Regards,

Jim
The Service reminder in the Commander (at least the 2006 moedl year) is mileage based. I did my first oil change at 1000 miles, then at 3000 & 5000, when I switched to Mobil 1. If it is all normal around town i will change it every 5k, but if a couple long highway trips, will extend it to 7500. I'm thinking next year, when I start riding 70% and driving the COmmander 30%, I will switch to Redline or Amsoil Synthetic, and do an annual, or 10K mile change. Have about 27K on it now.

I too was shocked at the recommended spark plug intervals, but not when I pulled them out to check. The 4.7 really seems to beat up on the plugs.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I thought it was the accelerator not the brake. Other than that you are correct.
Ummmm, what am I missing here. I press the button(s) on the console/panel to reset? You can also change the interval for the alert.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Ummmm, what am I missing here. I press the button(s) on the console/panel to reset? You can also change the interval for the alert.
That is the same for me, maybe they have found a way for those who don't have the limited package.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I just hit the reset button too! My wifes GM uses the gas pedal trick to reset.....

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
2008s are different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts