Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a (New) 2007 Commander limited. It was built in April of 2007, and has been on the lot since then. I think that they should change the oil. It is almost 2 years old. What think ye? :icon_confused:

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I would not worry about it for the first 500 miles, then consider changing it out. JMO

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I'm kinda queasy about leaving that 2 year (at least) old oil in there.
I would think the vehicle has endured countless startups over that period, and since your in Rock Island, I'm sure they moved it often to plow the lot, wash it, etc.
And of course, every startup throws unburned fuel past the rings and into the crankcase.

I'd be inclined to change it now, if nothing more than for peace of mind.

Rob

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I just bought a (New) 2007 Commander limited. It was built in April of 2007, and has been on the lot since then. I think that they should change the oil. It is almost 2 years old. What think ye? :icon_confused:
It's very unlikey the dealer will change the oil for free ... it will be fine till the first scheduled oild change but if it's bugging you just change it, it's not very expensive ... what engine do you have?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Well last I checked oil does not have a shelf life, however... if you just bought it, I would explain to them that you are having buyers remorse and feel that changing your oil for you would help give you peace of mind and help set your mind at ease by ensuring you made a good faith purchase from a dealer who puts customers first.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
My mom bought an 06 Ram 2500 in April of 07 and she did not nave any issues with the oil and within a day of buying it she left for Florida. Then again I can't say if they didn't change it in the year it sat on the lot but I doubt they did.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
things sitting tend to gather moisture. how many miles? it has been started and driven some I am sure. Again, tends to draw moisture.

Robby is the expert, listen to him.

Either way, change it. Make it a condition of the sale. The dealer isnt making money on floorplan interest he pays letting it set there. Well, it is a year old, so I am sure he has paid it off by now. Still, the cost of money....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts