Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a used 2010 Commander Sport w/ 3.7L QTI, it had 25k miles on it.

NOT knowing the full service record, I changed the oil right away with Mobil1 5W20. I read in the owner's manual that it has Oil Change Indicator System, I performed the procedure to reset the Oil Change Indicator System when I changed the oil. There was NOT a message saying I needed an oil change at the time, NOR did I get any indication the procedure to reset it did anything, and I tried it several times.

3k miles later, I've gotten the "Oil Change Required" message in the EVIC, I did the reset procedure and it gave me the "Oil Change Reset" message in the EVIC.

Keep in mind, my wife drives this vehicle 3 mi to work and back each day, besides a good 1000 miles for 2 highway trips, the rest of the mileage has been extremely short trips, which is tough on the oil.

So, it appears to me, you can't reset the Oil Change Indicator System, until it actually indicates "Oil Change Required", is that TRUE?

If so, should I change the oil now and get on the cycle with the Indicator System or just ignore it and keep changing the oil every 6k mi with Synthetic?

Yes, I know the rumor that Mobil1 has switched to GroupIII base stock and is NOT true Synthetic anymore, at least as we like to think makes a true synthetic. And the fact that Mobil1 does NOT deny the rumor after several years is telling in itself.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I got a used 2010 Commander Sport w/ 3.7L QTI, it had 25k miles on it.

NOT knowing the full service record, I changed the oil right away with Mobil1 5W20. I read in the owner's manual that it has Oil Change Indicator System, I performed the procedure to reset the Oil Change Indicator System when I changed the oil. There was NOT a message saying I needed an oil change at the time, NOR did I get any indication the procedure to reset it did anything, and I tried it several times.

3k miles later, I've gotten the "Oil Change Required" message in the EVIC, I did the reset procedure and it gave me the "Oil Change Reset" message in the EVIC.

Keep in mind, my wife drives this vehicle 3 mi to work and back each day, besides a good 1000 miles for 2 highway trips, the rest of the mileage has been extremely short trips, which is tough on the oil.

So, it appears to me, you can't reset the Oil Change Indicator System, until it actually indicates "Oil Change Required", is that TRUE?

If so, should I change the oil now and get on the cycle with the Indicator System or just ignore it and keep changing the oil every 6k mi with Synthetic?

Yes, I know the rumor that Mobil1 has switched to GroupIII base stock and is NOT true Synthetic anymore, at least as we like to think makes a true synthetic. And the fact that Mobil1 does NOT deny the rumor after several years is telling in itself.
You can reset it whenever you want - I do, at least on my 06. :eek:rangehat:

·
Banned
246 Posts
No, maybe you where due a oil change by the cycles or conditions that the system calculates the message to appear.

3 miles a day is pretty severe conditions.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
When you reset it, without the "Oil Change Required" warning being on, do you get some sort of indication it reset? The "Oil Change Reset" in the EVIC?
I don't remember if I get a confirmation, but I'm changing my oil tomorrow, so I will repost when I reset it. :eek:rangehat:

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
No, maybe you where due a oil change by the cycles or conditions that the system calculates the message to appear.

3 miles a day is pretty severe conditions.
I don't how you go through life with your head placed so far up Nancy Pelosi's butt. Lighten up, your sarcasm is not welcome here. :stickpoke: :eyemouth:

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
You can reset it whenever you want - I do, at least on my 06. :eek:rangehat:
'08s, '09s and '10s have a different system.

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
Engine Oil Change Indicator System (2008, 2009, 2010)

Oil Change Required
Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change
indicator system. The “Oil Change Required” message
will flash in the EVIC display for approximately 10
seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate the
next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change
indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the
engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon
your personal driving style.
Unless reset, this message will continue to display each
time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN
position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and
release the MENU button. To reset the oil change indicator
system (after performing the scheduled maintenance)
refer to the following procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not
start the engine).

2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times
within 10 seconds.

3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks, I didn't think 06h comments were that negative, my vehicles makes a lot of short trips, less than 3 miles, NOT 3 miles a day. BUT, less then 3 miles a trip the engine doesn't reach full operating temp and that is tough on the motor and the oil.

Jeep5253, thats exactly what my owner's manual says, it does NOT make clear if you can reset the system before the indication is given. e.g. you change the oil before the warning is tripped, you can't reset it and start the counter from zero (so to speak, I know its NOT as simple as miles).

I just retried to reset the oil change indicator system, I did the procedure again, several times. Absolutely no indication that the system reset, like when the "Change Oil Required" warning was on.

So, unless someone has more information, I can only conclude that you can only reset the system when the warning comes on.

I can't imagine that reseting the system at another time would NOT produce the same message on the EVIC, "Oil Change Reset". So, I have to conclude its NOT reseting.

Although I can imagine its possible the algorithm that decides the Oil Change Warning would trip at 3k miles for how the vehicle has been driven lately. I'm convinced it was NOT reset at my last oil change and the warning tripped based off the last time it was reset 2 oil changes ago.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
'08s, '09s and '10s have a different system.
Is it based on driving habits, rather than set intervals? Just curious how it works. Did it change when they moved the EVIC buttons to the steering wheel? :icon_confused:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Is it based on driving habits, rather than set intervals? Just curious how it works. Did it change when they moved the EVIC buttons to the steering wheel? :icon_confused:
A better way to describe it, rather than driving habit, it's use and what conditions you use the motor.

Start and Warm-Up is the highest stress on the oil, driving on the highway is the easiest. You make 2 trips a day, but only 6mi a day total, thats 20 times as many starts and warm-ups then traveling 120mi a day, for the same amount of miles between the same oil change interval.

Its probably some sort of algorithm that does something like counting the revolutions, and at what temperature, how many start-ups, etc. Probably weights them differently to add up to when to change the oil.

·
Banned
246 Posts
I don't how you go through life with your head placed so far up Nancy Pelosi's butt. Lighten up, your sarcasm is not welcome here. :stickpoke: :eyemouth:

• My bad. I guess the part of the owners manual that lists short trips under 10 miles qualifies for severe conditions is wrong.

·
Banned
246 Posts
"The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil interval may fluctuate dependent upon your driving style."

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I reset mine today. It asked me if I wanted to (yes,no) and I said yes. I did not get a confirmation message, but it now reads "5000 miles to service". I now know this won't help you, Mongo, but I did say I would post when I reset it. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks dhh3, but yea, it looks like they changed the system between '06 and '10, like already stated it was in '07 they made the change, but I really don't know.

When I reset mine, it just changed the EVIC message from "Oil Changed Required" to "Oil Change Reset". And the way I understand the later system works, it would NOT give you an estimate until the next service, because it can't, its tracks how and what conditions you use the motor and sets the warning when it has tracked enough useage that the oil should be changed and it will vary with how severe that useage is.

It pretty much seems that you only have the option to reset the later system when the warning is set. If you change the oil sooner, you can't reset it for that oil change. I've tried many a time and I can't get any feedback that the system reset, but when the warning was set, it provided feedback immediately on my first attempt at the procedure.

I'll probably change the oil soon and keep the oil changes on track with the warning system. I'm using Mobil1 5W-20 w/ Hastings Oil Filters, so I'm confident it will protect just fine between the warning to change oil from the vehicle computers.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I also own a 2010 and wonder the same thing. Is there a way to reset the oil life monitor at a time other than when the "Oil Change Required" prompt is displayed (such as an early oil change)?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also own a 2010 and wonder the same thing. Is there a way to reset the oil life monitor at a time other than when the "Oil Change Required" prompt is displayed (such as an early oil change)?
There might be a way to do it with the Dealer Scan Tool, but unless someone has found some new information lately, we are only left to conclude, based off what we've seen, you can only reset the oil change tracking when it produces the warning stating you need to change the oil.

Keep in mind, it is computer alagorithym tracking engine useage and weights the use based off the conditions, so it should set the warning when your oil is "actually" worn out, and NOT some basic rule of thumb that we all go off of now. As well, you have to consider it is set rather conservatively, and that if you use much better than average quality oil, like synthetic, its setting the warning well before the oil has gone bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks dhh3, but yea, it looks like they changed the system between '06 and '10, like already stated it was in '07 they made the change, but I really don't know.

When I reset mine, it just changed the EVIC message from "Oil Changed Required" to "Oil Change Reset". And the way I understand the later system works, it would NOT give you an estimate until the next service, because it can't, its tracks how and what conditions you use the motor and sets the warning when it has tracked enough useage that the oil should be changed and it will vary with how severe that useage is.

It pretty much seems that you only have the option to reset the later system when the warning is set. If you change the oil sooner, you can't reset it for that oil change. I've tried many a time and I can't get any feedback that the system reset, but when the warning was set, it provided feedback immediately on my first attempt at the procedure.

I'll probably change the oil soon and keep the oil changes on track with the warning system. I'm using Mobil1 5W-20 w/ Hastings Oil Filters, so I'm confident it will protect just fine between the warning to change oil from the vehicle computers.
Mongo, are you changing your oil off the computer's recommendation or just every 6k miles?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hey Mongo,

Just figured I'd give you a heads up. My wife's "duty based" change oil message came on yesterday. I reset it and DID NOT get any "oil life reset" message OR even a chime indicating that it was reset. However, it was reset.

I thought it was kind of odd since most vehicles do give you some indication that the procedure was completed correctly...but I guess these don't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts