Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any relocation kits for the 4.7L motor?

i'm so sick or trying to reach that POS location. i cannot get a grip on it with my hand or wrench.

·
Administrator
15,206 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I picked up a filter socket (the kind that fits a 3/8" wrench, and slips over the top of the filter), and use that now. Works fine. Still end up spilling oil all over the place. Agreed, that it's just not in the best location.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I really like it when I just about get the filter off, then I lose my grip on it and it falls, allowing me the pleasure of a hot oil shower/waterfall on my arm! That makes the experience so much more pleasurable!

I like the oil filter relocation idea. Let us know if you get the kit and where you mount it as I'd be interested too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I agree that it sucks changing the filter on the 4.7, that's why next time I'm going with full synthetic, at least this way I only have to deal with it every 6k miles! I wonder if using a bigger/longer filter would help out with the grip/position issue? inputs anyone?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Not really, its the location that makes it suck. I do mine every 5k with synthetic.

FYI, I can't Mobil 1 @ Wal-Mart, apparently there's a production shortage due to Katrina. I'm going to try Castrol instead.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Not really, its the location that makes it suck. I do mine every 5k with synthetic.

FYI, I can't Mobil 1 @ Wal-Mart, apparently there's a production shortage due to Katrina. I'm going to try Castrol instead.
Same thing at Advance Auto. I went with Pennzoil Platinum this last time, as opposed to my normal Mobil 1. Still went with the K&N filter, though.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i bought the last jug of mobil one on the shelf at wal-mart. the price was up to $28 for a gallon and the quarts are up to $6.88. ouch, but i only change the oil every 5500 miles. i also pick up the mopar oil filter at wally-world.

the total was $48 with the new jeep magazine!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Wow... What's going on with the Mobil 1 supply and Wal-Mart? About 2 weeks ago when I wanted to change my oil, Wal-Mart was all out as well. I ended up going with Castrol Syntec. It was the only synthetic there that was 5W-20. I can't say I feel any difference than with Mobil 1, and the Castrol was a couple of bucks cheaper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts