Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI. Most retail stores are not supplying the correct filter size for the 09 Commander's(3.7 V6) I checked Walmart and Autozone and after several trips back and forth to Autozone I found one that would screw on. Phram recommends the PH10060 but it was much shorter than the OEM filter I removed. So I headed back and they cross referenced other years and they gave me the PH3600. I spent about 45 minutes from the top and bottom trying to get the thing to thread and realized it was a different diameter thread. So I headed back and got the shorter original PH10060 and it screwed right on. Im still trying to find out if the shorter filter will do the job or not... Oh, and with the shorter filter it won't take the full 5 quarts, so put 4 1/2 in and run the engine and add until full.
Recommendation: change the oil on level ground or have the nose facing down hill. The drip guard under the filter will not drain properly if the nose is facing up hill. Also, you will need a filter wrench with an extension. They put what looks like the power stearing hose right where you need need to crank it off.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have a 2006 3.7 and I used to use WIX filters when I did it myself. The filter was the same size as the mopar filters. It was around $6 at O'reillys auto parts.

I would assume the filter has not changed sizes between the 2006 and 2009 since the engine has not changed.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
yes that's correct all 2008 Commanders with V8 engines take the new 22mm thread filters.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
So they even changed the thread size on the V6? I wonder why.
Yes ... but the V6 was changed to 22 mm in 2009 ... and it's a different filter than the V8's take

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am running the shorter filter now, but it is the Mobil 1 version of the filter. Mobil 1 makes both the filters long and short, so I am going to try the long one on the next go round. Also, Motorcraft makes the longer filter for it, so you do have some choices.

I just don't understand why 2006 - 2008 have the long filter spec, then 2009 has the short filter spec in all the catalogs I have seen.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I am running the shorter filter now, but it is the Mobil 1 version of the filter. Mobil 1 makes both the filters long and short, so I am going to try the long one on the next go round. Also, Motorcraft makes the longer filter for it, so you do have some choices.

I just don't understand why 2006 - 2008 have the long filter spec, then 2009 has the short filter spec in all the catalogs I have seen.
It's not just shorter is uses the 22mm thread too.

I normaly run a longer filter an all my cars too (if I can find one that fits) ... but the fact is it does not make much difference to the engine, I think the main advantage is that little bit of extra oil volume the bigger filter holds.

It can be risky putting on an un-specified oil filter ... just because it spins on (correct thread size) does not mean it matches the engine ... you have to check the seating area set back, hole pattern, outside diamter, and 'O' Ring placement for a few examples.

I would be wary of using an un-specified longer filter on a car still under warentee ... in todays climate more than ever dealers/manufactureres seem to be looking for anyway they can to wiggle out of a warentee ...using the wrong filter could might them a reason :(

After my warentee was up I put a PurePower, remote mount washable filter on my Hemi

http://www.gopurepower.com/site/products/brochures/high-performance-filters.pdf

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's not just shorter is uses the 22mm thread too.

It can be risky putting on an un-specified oil filter ... just because it spins on (correct thread size) does not mean it matches the engine ... you have to check the seating area set back, hole pattern, outside diamter, and 'O' Ring placement for a few examples.

I would be wary of using an un-specified longer filter on a car still under warentee ... in todays climate more than ever dealers/manufactureres seem to be looking for anyway they can to wiggle out of a warentee ...using the wrong filter could might them a reason :(

I totally agree with you here. But, my 09 had the long Mopar filter on it (done at the dealership) when I changed the oil, which is really what sent me on the search to find the answer as to why. I am going to stick to the filter specified in the manual to make sure it is right, because any warranty claim would make it worthwhile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts