Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Commander, Limited w/ 4.7L Hemi (semi-Hemi, according to some). I LOVE it! I think I am second owner. First owner purchased it from a dealer in Alaska and has taken good care of it. I bought it from a dealership in Colorado. They said the owner moved here from Alaska. Check of the VIN shows the same story. Has many nice creature comfort features; heated seats, fog lights, video disk player, Sirius radio, Boston speakers throughout. Loving it. Not having any performance issues. Commute about 100 miles RT, daily. Getting 17-18 mpg. I would like to replace? the oil idiot light and install an oil pressure sending unit and gauge. Much more useful of a tool for my driving delight. Not sure if that switch can be replaced with a pressure sender. Or if I will need to find an adapter fitting plate for the oil filter. I think I remember discussions of this from somewhere but, now that I want that info, it eludes me. Thanks in advance for any info at all.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I did a how to on my Autometer Gauge Install.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14330&highlight=autometer+gauges

You can replace the idiot light switch with a sending unit if you desire. Myself, I kept the idiot light (I have other family members that drive the vehicle that need it). There is a capped off journal just above the oil filter that you can attach a fitting then the oil pressure sending unit while leaving the idiot light switch intact.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2008 Commander, Limited w/ 4.7L Hemi (semi-Hemi, according to some). I LOVE it! I think I am second owner. First owner purchased it from a dealer in Alaska and has taken good care of it. I bought it from a dealership in Colorado. They said the owner moved here from Alaska. Check of the VIN shows the same story. Has many nice creature comfort features; heated seats, fog lights, video disk player, Sirius radio, Boston speakers throughout. Loving it. Not having any performance issues. Commute about 100 miles RT, daily. Getting 17-18 mpg. I would like to replace? the oil idiot light and install an oil pressure sending unit and gauge. Much more useful of a tool for my driving delight. Not sure if that switch can be replaced with a pressure sender. Or if I will need to find an adapter fitting plate for the oil filter. I think I remember discussions of this from somewhere but, now that I want that info, it eludes me. Thanks in advance for any info at all.
The 5.7L is the only Hemi you will find in a Commander.

:stickpoke:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I have a 2008 Commander, Limited w/ 4.7L Hemi (semi-Hemi, according to some)....
Hemi is short for Hemispherical Combustion Chamber. It can NOT truly be a Hemispherical Combustion Chamber, so it has often been described as a Semi-Hemispherical Head. (i.e. half a hemisphere in the head.

There is also Penta-Roof designed heads, for double intake/exhaust valves, these have been described as partial or semi-hemi, because the shape is a blocked off semi-hemisphere, with many of the same benefits.

Its a Hemi, people calling it a semi-hemi are confusing terms, being so literal they're confusing or making up their own terms, perhaps for something like the 3rd generation Hemi being smaller than the previous generations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts