Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off the filter tonight to clean/charge it - I have the K&N 77-1545KP on my 3.7 - and noticed that there is oil on the drycharger, filter and just a little on the inside lip of the intake tube...is that normal or do I need to worry? I'm hoping that maybe it's just from snow and rain being kicked up into the engine compartment from normal driving, any help/insight would be appreciated so I can sleep easier tonight while the filter is drying.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Had the same problem with my K&N 63 series installed. It turned out to be a bad PCV valve which allowed excess oil to escape. Hope this helps.

Now I am thinking about having the dealer clean the throttle body. It must be covered in oil residue!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Bob - two questions: 1. how hard is it to replace the PCV valve (just checked that out - looks easy enough that even I can do it?), and 2. would oil residue on the throtle body cause any shifting issues?

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Thanks Bob - two questions: 1. how hard is it to replace the PCV valve (just checked that out - looks easy enough that even I can do it?), and 2. would oil residue on the throtle body cause any shifting issues?
A oily/dirty throttle valve would have no effect on the trans unless it was making the engine misbehave in some way......then there would be check engine lights to go with it.
Regarding the oil buildup within the intake.
By all means, any time blow by seems excessive then a replacement PCV is the first thing to do.
I think you may be seeing the air filter oil being pulled into the intake as well.
It is very difficult to not over oil a K&N or any other serviceable filter and that oil will adhere to the intake tubing and build up at any seam.
If excessive blow by is the concern, a new PCV along with a new stock paper filter would be required.
After a thousand miles or so, a inspection would be required.
Oil in the intake tract again would indicate possibly piston rings not sealing.
If everything is dry, you could re-install the K&N knowing the engine is fine and it was the result of over oiling or lazy PCV.
If another inspection reveals oil buildup after the K&N is reinstalled then you know you are over oiling the filter.

Rob

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Duh, didn't even think about the oil from the filter...and the amount on the lip of the intake was concentrated in one area, right in the middle, and a very small amount - about a half the size of a dime. I let the filter dry over night, so I think I'll just reinstall after I oil it today and check it in a 1,000 or so - not feeling like putting the old air box back in. Thanks!

·
Registered
707 Posts
If the filter is removed from the intake, stick your hand inside the tube and feel if the oil is coming from the hole in the intake tube. If so, it may be the PCV valve.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Easy enough, I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see, thanks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Had to clean my K&N filter today and noticed oil in my intake as well. I think this is normal since I have a new PCV valve and have been putting 3 light coats of oil on the filter.

If you notice in the last picture, the oil appears to be coming from the right side (pcv valve)settles at the bottom, then travels into the engine (left side).

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
im about 100 percent convinced thats its a broken or sticky pcv valve, they run about 45 bucks on rockauto.com and just twist in and out to replace, if the money is tight you can clean it as a temporary fix using brake cleaner, but in the long run its best to replace it. ive had the same trouble in the past

1 - 11 of 11 Posts