Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I noticed a small oil spot on the garage floor. Looked underneath my 2006 V6 Commander (47K miles) and found a small amount of oil (not tranny fluid) on the transmission housing. Where the rear engine and tranny are bolted together it has oil stains and appears to be coming from this area.

Not sure what is leaking. Could it be the crankshaft seal? I hope Jeep did not go with a two piece rear main seal like the old 4L 6cyl engines have.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sounds like a rear main oil seal leak. That's very odd for it to leak that early on, w/ that many miles. My Prelude started leaking right about 100k miles. Thus far, the XK/HEMI hasn't had any leaks, aside from the transmission oil pan gasket (ez fix for the dealer). It's probably best to forget the technicalities, and just get the leak checked and fixed; rather than driving an 'exxon-valdez' on the road.

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
I agree with XKJeep06, you are the first to report this so please do come back and let us know what you found out. And welcome to the forum, there are a lot of us from AZ here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

Wish it was as easy to work on as my Cherokee. I'm going to take it next weekend to the dealer (Planet Jeep). I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, Larry

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Do you have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Keep us posted on this. I've already had an oil seal replaced on my front axle, and now it looks like the RT rear one is leaking, and I have 48k on the clock. Parts like that shouldn't leak this early, even a small item like an oil seal. Going to wait until the 60k service to get it fixed under warranty, wish I didn't have to deal with this on a truck this new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I stopped by the dealer today and just talked to a service manager about the problem. Without looking at the car he also guessed it was the rear main seal and would cost about $1000 to $1200.

Tonight I was going through all the papers that come with buying a new vehicle and found a letter from the dealership saying: "Thank you for choosing PLANET JEEP. In regards to your factory warranty, JEEP offers a factory warranty of 36-months / 36,000 miles and a 5-year power train warranty on all new vehicles." Letter goes on about using them for any service, etc.

How do you interpret the above statement? Do I have both the 3yr/36k and the 5 year power train coverage?

Thanks, Larry

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
That is how I would interpret that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dodged that bullet. The leak is covered under the 5yr/60K power train warranty. She has an appointment at the dealer on Monday.

Hate to do it but considering an extended warranty. Can't work on this baby like the Cherokee.

Thanks for all the input. Larry

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bringing back an old thread. I was curious if anyone had ever tried a stop leak for the engine oil? If one was to use this and you ended up having to do an oil change, do you have to add another bottle?

·
Registered
06 _ 5.7L _QD2 _ 135k _ 5100s 2.5" _ 265x70x17 _ stock wheels
293 Posts
Typically the stop leak additives, arent really worth the effort. I would rather refill oil, and scrub the leaks off my driveway, to buy time until a proper repair can be done.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Typically the stop leak additives, arent really worth the effort. I would rather refill oil, and scrub the leaks off my driveway, to buy time until a proper repair can be done.
okay...I was hoping to hear from individuals with success. Thank you however for being honest and repying.

·
Registered
06 Jeep commander limited 5.7 QTII black
38 Posts
Hello,
I noticed a small oil spot on the garage floor. Looked underneath my 2006 V6 Commander (47K miles) and found a small amount of oil (not tranny fluid) on the transmission housing. Where the rear engine and tranny are bolted together it has oil stains and appears to be coming from this area.

Not sure what is leaking. Could it be the crankshaft seal? I hope Jeep did not go with a two piece rear main seal like the old 4L 6cyl engines have.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks, Larry
Well pull the cover Larry see what you have. Then brace yourself it’s a job. But doable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our 2010 5.7L 2WD Commander Limited had a similar issue. I looked and thought rear main seal leak. It has lifetime extended warranty, took it to dealer ( Ron Carter - Dickinson TX) and they diagnosed it as an engine pan gasket leak. It took a week to get that far. Since the "repair" the leak is worse, either the repair was flawed or the gasket was not the problem and the seal is getting worse. Vehicle has done 145K miles.

·
Registered
06 Jeep commander limited 5.7 QTII black
38 Posts
Our 2010 5.7L 2WD Commander Limited had a similar issue. I looked and thought rear main seal leak. It has lifetime extended warranty, took it to dealer ( Ron Carter - Dickinson TX) and they diagnosed it as an engine pan gasket leak. It took a week to get that far. Since the "repair" the leak is worse, either the repair was flawed or the gasket was not the problem and the seal is getting worse. Vehicle has done 145K miles.
Challenging the dealership is my first bit of advise if you are working with service manger that has morals. You could go after them for failure to fix. Good luck keep us posted.

·
Administrator
7,636 Posts
@bertrada ;

Can't you see where the oil leak is coming from?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts