Jeep Commander Forum banner

Oil leak from head gasket????

23K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Conundrum2006 
#1 ·
What's up all. Got an 06 commander 3.7l and I've been told by a good friend and gm mechanic for like 15+ years that my oil leak is coming from passenger head gasket. Is it likely that the oil is leaking from the headgasket? Or could if be somewhere near there. I know it's leaking below the exhaust manifold

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
That sounds plausible to me.

If it's coming from the head gasket, you should be able to see it.

Being that you have the V-6, you should have enough room to get in there and look closely with a flashlight, where the cylinder heads meet the engine block.

The only other places I would look for an oil leak is at the oil filter and around the oil pan gasket.

#3 ·
I agree with Blue.

The 3.7's are prone to leak from the valve cover gasket toward the back of the engine at the firewall. Wipe any residue from that area of the head and then drive it normally for a day then get a clean rag or paper towel and wipe down that same area. If you pick up fresh, clean oil you know you have a leak. Also look at the exhaust downpipe coming off the manifold for oil residue that's burned off. That's another sure sign of a valve cover gasket leak.

The repair isn't difficult at all; you can get a set of gaskets from RockAuto.com or your local auto parts store. Clean the cylinder head of any residue so the leak doesn't come back.

There are some How-To's over on JeepKJ.com.

Bob

Reactions: Conundrum2006
#4 ·
Pan gaskets are not a likely leak source, believe me those gaskets are on there tight. Only likely way a pan should leak is if it rusts out.

I do agree the valve cover is more likely a source, headgaskets I suppose could be possible, seen it before on other engines.
BTW for me the 3.7 valve covers were a PITA to remove in the XK. Between the wiring harness and clearance it was a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#5 · (Edited)
I've seen oil pan gaskets leak before - that's why I mentioned it.

Maybe it's not the most common source of an oil leak, but, I wouldn't arbitrarily dismiss it without checking.

It does happen, especially if the oil pan has been removed before for whatever reason.

#6 ·
On a 3.7? Suppose it is possible, but that design gasket is very durable and a major hassle to remove. Most 3.7 that look like they have a pan gasket leak usually have another gasket leaking down to it.
On the XK with 4 wheel drive to change the pan gasket it is almost better to pull the engine, maybe there is a trick for dropping the suspension and axel out of the way that might make it easier.

Hopefully the OP just has a valve gasket or something simpler than removing the heads.

OP could it be possible the Cam position located on the passenger side cylinderhead could be leaking?
It immediately underneath the valve cover towards the front of the passenger of the engine.

#8 ·
It possible. There are oil passageways from the block to the cylinder head, if it starts seeping oil it could be what you’re seeing. The water side of the gasket is fine which seems counter intuitive.
I’ve seen a few engines do this, did a search about the 3.7 this afternoon found a couple 2011 Liberty owners complaining about headgasket and other oil leaks. Apparently 2011 was a bad year for rear main seals.
I don’t think it’s terribly common but I doubt several mechanics are mistaking what they are seeing.
Sorry to say it sounds more and more like a headgasket.
If you’re going to DIY the job there are some very good write ups on the 3.7 and/or 4.7 engines. KJ forum will have several good writeups for sure.

#9 ·
Well thanks for your input I appreciate it. Luckily no overheating, coolant leak yet and hope it doesn't until later I can afford to fix it. I replaced the engine and I know the motor only had 86k on it but anything can happen I guess. With the leak below the exhaust manifold, seems to me like it could be headgasket leaking oil.
Thanks again

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Oh, is there a warranty on the engine? I’d think this should be covered.

I put a low milage 2012 3.7 engine on our 2006 Commander, clean beautiful engine, no leaks so far. swapped the oil pan, a couple of sensors and it bolted right in. 2005-2012 3.7 have the same reluctors, block and cylinder heads are the same. Just a few sensors to swap. Great option for any other jeep owners looking for a swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.