Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving back from taking family to airport, approximately 40 miles the oil light and chime came on while stopped at a red light, as soon as reached I about 800 rpms it went out. Stopped to check oil all was well, no knocking of any kind. Drove the rest of the home putting it neutral at lights an bringing rpms up 800-900. Got home,left it sit about 30 minutes then started it again and no lights came on, checked codes there were none. Dove it short distances to day no warnings. My only concern is that I will be putting 1600 miles on it the next two weeks. My question is this has anyone experienced this problem, does it sound like maybe my sensor is going bad. I have an appointment next week with my local shop to see if they can find a problem, but would like to hear the input from the XK experts. This is the first time this has ever happened.

·
Registered
338 Posts
There are lots of lights I ignore, ir pay little attention to, including tpms, abs, traction control and even the check engine light ..... But the oil light .... That would have me concerned. I'm curious as to when you changed oil and filter last, but a long time would likely create an increase in pressure, not the other way around,.... Leading me to think you likely need a new pump. How is the iol level?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil level is right at full mark and was changed three weeks ago approx 300 miles ago.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
When my oil pressure light came on it also had a P0520 bad oil pressure sensor bad. To change the sensor on the hemi is pretty east, just be sure you have or get the right size socket to remove/ install it, a metric size. Cost of my sensor was about $60 from Advanced Auto, socket was $10. Not sure on your 4.7 Probably a cheaper/easier try before replacing the oil pump.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Mechanical Gauge

Might want to put a tee in the pressure line port and install a good Mechanical Gauge so you can tell if the reading you are getting from the electric is correct. And go from there.

Swanny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts