Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my 2nd oil change on an 07 with a V6. I noticed after I drained the drain pan back into a 5qt container there was little over 3qts of oil in the container which seemed low, maybe concerning. Anyone else measure how much oil is drained from their engine? I figure between the filter, oil left in the pan and some spill there was maybe another quart. I checked the oil level roughly a few thousand miles previously and it wasn't low.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Oil Level

Any chance that there is any sludge left in the bottom of the pan? That would raise the oil level but not have as much oil. Do you change your own oil?

Swanny

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Any chance that there is any sludge left in the bottom of the pan? That would raise the oil level but not have as much oil. Do you change your own oil?

Swanny
There's usually about a 1/2 a quart in the filter too.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Some oil is stuck in the filter, not sure how much that would be. Big blue sounds about right.
Some is spilled.
If you spilled around a quart and have over 3 quarts capture (4.5 quarts accounted for) you are almost right.
There should be some oil consumption by the engine too. Hard to judge if it was reading full before drained i would guess its was just spilled through the various ways it like make a mess.

Honestly I'd just watch between now and next few thousand miles to see how much oil is used or leaked (valve covers, rear main, stuff like that if it's a 9 year old motor)

Oil use is completely normal, The 38 thousand mile 2012 3.7 I put in the commander has some mild usage, add about half a quart after 4K. Then change it, running full synthetic so I let it go to 5k. I think most vehicle specs call for a quart or so to be consumed every so many thousand miles.

The way the oil pan is designed the drain will never get all the heavy crud out (or 100% of the oil). Even with a heavily gunked up motor like our commander had there is not enough mass to affect the oil volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
I kept the used oil on my last change, its almost 4quarts but I remember there's at least 1/2 quart left on the container.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts