Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cover circa 1,000 highway miles a week....and sometimes 1,500 mile per week during crazy times.

Is it normal to have to top up the Hemi oil by approx 1 - 1.5ltr's between 7,500 services?

I've noticed I've had to top up 3 times now a week or two before each service.

Theres no black smoke, no lack of power....the dealer says this is normal....but I dont think the dealer is normal!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
It doesn't seem normal in any way !!!! good engine shouldn't consume oil !

I would recommend checking it outside the dealer

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That explains a lot!
Your quote means high mileage = high oil consumption?

My concern is, the Commander is being parked up shortly for weekend / family use only. Would I expect to see lower oil consumption with town and shorter journeys? Or is there a problem with the engine?

My Commander CRD and my V8 Discovery didn't use hardly any oil on mileage runs of 1,000 to 1,500 miles per week.

Maybe thats the way the Hemi runs? 5/20 oil is only slightly thicker than milk!! :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You are asking if 1.5 litres per 7500 miles is normal oil consuption?

Yes that's well within normal oil consumption rates on modern engins.

A modern engine can consume oil at the rate of 1 quart per 2000 miles or (1 litre per 3200 km) before it is considered unusual for a new engine

After 50,000 miles one quart about every 1000 miles is the threshold for concern.

The old Dodge Hemi's threshold was 1 quart every 400 miles! :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Definately isnt AB normal, and some would say that an engine that uses a bit of oil (1 qt/ltr between changes) will last longer than one that is buttoned tight. I'd say you'll be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts