Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2006 4.7L Commander but am in Ghana Africa where there is no 5w30 oil to be found. The closest I have found is 5w40 but that was in another part of the country so I may have to select something else. There is a Jeep dealership here, however I can't get a good answer out of them on what I should use as they aren't very familiar with gasoline engines. It was like pulling teeth to get the correct filter (ordering replacements online now). Unfortunately I don't have that option for the oil.

I do have access to Shell and Total synthetics but again it will be a viscosity issue. In fact I've found no 30 weight oil anyplace!!?!?

I've been a member of a sister-site dedicated to the Grand Wagoneers (rebuilt two and got tons of great assistance) so I am confident that someone will be able to provide me with good advice on here.

Mike

·
Registered
735 Posts
how much would it be to ship some in to where you are at if it is possible? maybe a forum member could do that? like just have someone give you a price and what not and you pay for the shipping and the oil.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Mike - I'm not aware of specific viscosity requirements for the 4.7 (as opposed to the 5.7 which requires 5w-20 for proper MDS operation). Your manual may say 5w-30 is a recommendation based on temperatures you operate your XK in. Using 5w-40 or 10w-30, etc. shouldn't cause any problems at all. Especially if you are using synthetic. It's more important to look at the API Service ratings. The latest rating here is "SM" and is for gasoline engines manufactured in 2005-forward. Most off-the-shelf brand name oils are rated with this. If your manual says 5w-30 is a requirment, then there must be a reason. I suspect it is a recommendation. 5w-30 is pretty general and good for a wide temperature range.

·
2,248 Posts
I also wonder if the lower viscosity requirements are not designed to meet higher mandated overall milage standards in the U.S. by using thinner oil. Another factor that might allow you to use higher weight oil is the average tempature in your country.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much would it be to ship some in to where you are at if it is possible? maybe a forum member could do that? like just have someone give you a price and what not and you pay for the shipping and the oil.
I looked into it and to ship petroleum products is a very difficult proposition - and costly to boot. Thanks for responding, and have a merry Christmas!

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil plan for Africa

Well the Jeep dealer apparently has a "guy" who provides them with 5w30 for U.S. vehicles (sure they do...) but I haven't had the opportunity to talk to him as he isn't answering his phone.

I'm going with 40 weight and see what happens. I don't need a multi-viscosity and since 40 is the lightest I can find, what the heck.

Thanks again for your replies, Merry Christmas!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Is 10W30 available? If it is usually hot where you live then you could run 10W30. In the summer months when it gets warm here I will run a 10W30 then change back to the recommended 5W30 for winter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts