Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all out there in the community,
I am a new commander owner, and an old , seasoned Jeep Driver. Still Driving Jeeps since 1977. Currently have the 2006 WK GC, and just sealed the deal on a 2010 XK. While it isn't an Overland, It seems to have all the features of one, much to my surprise.
Ive had many many experiences with these vehicles and I am thinking it will be fun to share some of the fun these vehicles have been and continue to be , with me, with all of you fine members. Cheers to you all,

Ed,
Greywulf4570

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hi to all out there in the community,
I am a new commander owner, and an old , seasoned Jeep Driver. Still Driving Jeeps since 1977. Currently have the 2006 WK GC, and just sealed the deal on a 2010 XK. While it isn't an Overland, It seems to have all the features of one, much to my surprise.
Ive had many many experiences with these vehicles and I am thinking it will be fun to share some of the fun these vehicles have been and continue to be , with me, with all of you fine members. Cheers to you all,

Ed,
Greywulf4570
Ed , @Greywulf4570 ;

Welcome to the forum.

Post some pics of your Commander when you are able.

Here are some links to help you out if you decide to do some upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/89-new-member-section/63025-required-reading-new-member-introduction-post-other-important-new-member-info.html

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Links!! I am always excited about the future with these vehicles. Though, It took a while to find the Jeep itself. This one is White. So it will now be known as "Fatima" . " Queen of the Sultan's Harem" From the Ray Stevens Tune "Ahab the Arab." This one comes equipped with the "trail rated" limited slip Quadra Drive II driveline.

Many years ago, (1988) I saved a 1986 J10 half ton Long Bed, Standard 4 speed manual transmission and 2 speed transfer case, with Warn Hubs, from a repo lot , it was going to be a salvage since it had an engine compartment fire melting the wiring harness, and I fixed it and got it running before I bought it , and I Named it "Clyde". Clyde and I parted ways in 2002 after as many years of unbelievably reliable service.

This "new to me" 2010 XK acquisition will be yet another interesting chapter in my life as a Jeep driver. Fun in every minute with it, Im sure. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks for the Links!! I am always excited about the future with these vehicles. Though, It took a while to find the Jeep itself. This one is White. So it will now be known as "Fatima" . " Queen of the Sultan's Harem" From the Ray Stevens Tune "Ahab the Arab." This one comes equipped with the "trail rated" limited slip Quadra Drive II driveline.

Many years ago, (1988) I saved a 1986 J10 half ton Long Bed, Standard 4 speed manual transmission and 2 speed transfer case, with Warn Hubs, from a repo lot , it was going to be a salvage since it had an engine compartment fire melting the wiring harness, and I fixed it and got it running before I bought it , and I Named it "Clyde". Clyde and I parted ways in 2002 after as many years of unbelievably reliable service.

This "new to me" 2010 XK acquisition will be yet another interesting chapter in my life as a Jeep driver. Fun in every minute with it, Im sure. :grin2:
No problem.....Post some pics when you can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow what a Jeep!

To get my Jeep, I hitched a ride to Columbia SC from Pascagoula on December 22 because that is where I managed to find it waiting for me.
The Dealership experience was , the best I've ever had. On the way up, I received a late text from the Dealer, they said they were getting the vehicle ready for delivery and the "Service 4WD System" :surprise:annunciator illuminated on the dash, so they drove it to the local Jeep Dealer to have it fixed. " Not to worry" They said "if that light should come on again after I had taken ownership, they would get it fixed" because they did not sell vehicles with faults. Whew.

I arrived in Columbia. and my Hotel was about 1/2 mile from the dealership. They picked me up at the Hotel in the morning, and I went to the Dealership to see my new Jeep for the first time.

Yes it had 85000 miles, but it looked like it had never been off the road, the underbody, frame, rails, skidplates , driveline looked brand new, with OEM stickers on the components still attached! In fact, the only place I could detect any wear to mention was on the driver floor mat and the piping on the driver seat. It was immaculate everywhere I looked. :nerd: I couldn't even get my red shop rag dirty while inspecting this vehicle with it and a flashlight as I crawled all over it.

The test drive was short, and all the mechanical functions appeared normal. no lights. :laugh2:
The dealer said the battery had drained to the point where the control modules had faulted, and the Jeep Dealer re flashed and re set the FDCM to clear the annunciator lamp. The Dealer installed a new battery, replaced all the spark plugs, Surfaced the brake discs, replaced the pads, changed the fluids, everything was impressive.

I paid them the cash and said my "thank you's" and got into the vehicle for the drive back to the gulf coast.

50 feet from the dealership door, on pops the dreaded "Service 4WD System" annunciator. UGH!! :frown2:

I go back in to the dealership, they said drive it, and when you get to the coast , if the annunciator stays lit, take it to the Jeep dealer in your area and we will get it fixed for you.

I get that in writing, and off I go .
The lamp extinguished shortly after , and Im enjoying the 10 hour ride south. At the fuel stops, Im calculating the mileage and playing with my pencils, its 19.4 mpg and Im cruising at 73 mph.
I took it off road a couple of days ago for the first time, the transfer case engaged to low range perfectly, and after a few miles of off road , the jeep just does what it is supposed to do, anyway to my liking. But I am still befuddled as to why that annunciator light keeps popping up. No fault codes show in the OBDII, and the vehicle acts virtually identical to my 05 GC with the drivetrain functions.

So What I want to do here on the forum, is commence a thread on this Commander to chronicle what I can about the weirdness of Jeep. And see what happens next . They have their idiosyncrasies,Yet it will go anywhere you take it.

Cheers to all you Jeep people, happy 2018! Ill post some pictures really soon!! It looks like every other Commander though! but you knew that , right?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
To get my Jeep, I hitched a ride to Columbia SC from Pascagoula on December 22 because that is where I managed to find it waiting for me.
The Dealership experience was , the best I've ever had. On the way up, I received a late text from the Dealer, they said they were getting the vehicle ready for delivery and the "Service 4WD System" :surprise:annunciator illuminated on the dash, so they drove it to the local Jeep Dealer to have it fixed. " Not to worry" They said "if that light should come on again after I had taken ownership, they would get it fixed" because they did not sell vehicles with faults. Whew.

But I am still befuddled as to why that annunciator light keeps popping up. No fault codes show in the OBDII, and the vehicle acts virtually identical to my 05 GC with the drivetrain functions.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/9-problems-dealer-service/1164-4wd-system-service-light-21.html

If you have QuadraTrac II or QuadraDrive II there is a good chance you need to have the P73 campaign completed because both of these 4WD systems use the NV245 transfer case which the P73 campaign applies to.

I can tell you from first-hand experience with this - you have the exact symptoms of needing the P73 campaign - reprogramming of your final drive control module - which is not being able to shift into 4 LOW.

If your Commander has already had the P73 campaign completed, then most likely, it's your transfer case actuator motor that is bad, which about a $750.00 repair.

You can also go to the Chrysler recall website and plug in your VIN number.

If P73 applies to your Commander, it will be listed there - and if it has been completed it should be annotated as such, with a date of completion listed

Safety Recall Information | MOPAR

I can also tell you (those of you who may not be aware) that when you go to the safety recall website, you won't see P73 listed under safety recalls - because P73 is not a safety recall, it's actually a campaign and it's listed on the Chrysler safety recall website under campaigns. It's also not listed as P73 - it's actually listed as REPROGRAM FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE in the form of a hyperlink.

When you click on the REPROGRAM FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE hyperlink, then the P73 customer satisfaction notice comes up, which I have attached again to this post.

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is this; a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

I've attached the P73 campaign notice below:

Attached Files: P73.pdf (167.9 KB, 46 views)

Here is a good thread where you can read about what I (and others) have experienced when confronting this P73 campaign:

Chrysler/ Jeep P73 Recall

There is a lot of good info in that thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts