Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to lift my 2009 XK

What's the difference if I lift it using RC lift kit on the stock shocks and coils comparing to lifting it using Old Man Emu which will replace the 4 shocks and coils.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I decided to lift my 2009 XK

What's the difference if I lift it using RC lift kit on the stock shocks and coils comparing to lifting it using Old Man Emu which will replace the 4 shocks and coils.
@Nasr; Better late than never, as far as your decision to lift your XK goes.

As far as the differences, price probably for starters; The Rough Country lift only uses metal spacers to lift your XK, it does not replace any of your suspension components, so, it's usually the cheaper option; I had ran the 2 inch RC lift for 3 years on my XK without any issues before upgrading to the 4 inch Superlift; But knowing what I know now, I'd probably go with the Old Man EMU lift if I had to do it all over again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Nasr; Better late than never, as far as your decision to lift your XK goes.

As far as the differences, price probably for starters; The Rough Country lift only uses metal spacers to lift your XK, it does not replace any of your suspension components, so, it's usually the cheaper option; I had ran the 2 inch RC lift for 3 years on my XK without any issues before upgrading to the 4 inch Superlift; But knowing what I know now, I'd probably go with the Old Man EMU lift if I had to do it all over again.
For the cost, I don't mind paying some extra if it will improve the drive.
But what's the difference between the stock shocks and coils vs the Old Man EMU shocks and coils?
Is the Old Man EMU suspension components is higher performance than the stock one?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
For the cost, I don't mind paying some extra if it will improve the drive.
But what's the difference between the stock shocks and coils vs the Old Man EMU shocks and coils?
Is the Old Man EMU suspension components is higher performance than the stock one?
The shocks & coils from the old Man EMU are matched & designed to handle the additional lift - the stock shocks & coils will handle the additional lift, but they were not designed for that & therefore, probably won't handle it - or hold up as well, as the components from the Old Man EMU lift.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shocks & coils from the old Man EMU are matched & designed to handle the additional lift - the stock shocks & coils will handle the additional lift, but they were not designed for that & therefore, probably won't handle it - or hold up as well, as the components from the Old Man EMU lift.
Thank you!
I tried to find it on Amazon, but non are fitting Jeep XK!
Any recommendations, where I can find it online?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here you go; I don't know if they'll ship to Dubai though;

https://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-commander-ome.html
Seems they do with extra $140

Should I go with the MD or HD coils? both are same price. My vehicle has no extra heavy stuff, no winch, no armored bumpers. I got a friend who used MD on front and HD on rear, I don't know the reason in the fact :D

Another thing please, is it worth getting the strut caps and spring isolators from them which gonna cost extra $214?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Seems they do with extra $140

Should I go with the MD or HD coils? both are same price. My vehicle has no extra heavy stuff, no winch, no armored bumpers. I got a friend who used MD on front and HD on rear, I don't know the reason in the fact :D

Another thing please, is it worth getting the strut caps and spring isolators from them which gonna cost extra $214?
I don't know anything about the strut caps & isolators honestly;

As far as which springs to get it depends on what you're looking for; Medium duty springs will give you more of a normal ride; Heavy duty springs will give you a stiffer, harder ride which is usually used by guys that do rock crawling and/or a lot of serious off-roading in not-so nice terrain.

Also guys that know they are going to be towing a heavy load often, also usually opt for the HD springs.

If you're not going to be doing any heavy duty towing - or serious off-roading/rock crawling, you should be fine with the Medium Duty springs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know anything about the strut caps & isolators honestly;

As far as which springs to get it depends on what you're looking for; Medium duty springs will give you more of a normal ride; Heavy duty springs will give you a stiffer, harder ride which is usually used by guys that do rock crawling and/or a lot of serious off-roading in not-so nice terrain.

Also guys that know they are going to be towing a heavy load often, also usually opt for the HD springs.

If you're not going to be doing any heavy duty towing - or serious off-roading/rock crawling, you should be fine with the Medium Duty springs.
I will go with the medium duty then
Thank a lot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts