Jeep Commander Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
Needed that extra clearance to get over those flowers!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Great job you have done ,,, excellent :) ,, Thank you so much AJGuy84 & OldMac I will go for the lift but I will have to do the installation in workshop as I don't have the needed tools and experience to do it.

OldMac,, now we are waiting your pics with those drink cans ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Super write up! I hope this will motivate a lot of members to get their lifts and get em installed!

Slainte'
O'C

·
Registered
564 Posts
appstatecommander said:
if you dont mind answering how much did the lift cost all together?

Here you go...

OME Lift

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wished I would have had this before I installed mine it would have shaved at least 2-3 hours. Well done Guys. If you were thinking about installing this lift I encourage you to try it now. All the questions you would have are already answered for you.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quick question for those that have installed the OME kit, I just did the install last weekend, it went very smooth, thanks to the help from the manual posted here (thanks to those that made it) my question is, did everybody tight the nut on top of the strut until you could see 4 treads only? The reason I ask is because I did that and there was a lot of movement once I assemble the front and went for a test drive, I was getting some knocking at front, the yellow bumps were sliding down on their own, so after looking around that is the only thing I could find, took it apart and tighten the nut a lot more, that took care of the problem, as now the top of the strut doesn’t move up and down, anyone else had this problem? Also, how is the ball joint looking for you guys?

Here is what it looks like now, still on Fronteras... For now...

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
Looks good, Like the Hulk rims too.

·
Registered
564 Posts
a49erFan said:
Looks good, Like the Hulk rims too.

Thank you, it looks a lot better now...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing too. Romeo, your Commander looks good with the lift.

I cannot afford to get the SuperLift 4" lift, but the OME is obtainable. It'd be good to hear how you are getting along.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah... I am real curious how how the ride is.. I am not happy with my Spacer lift...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ok, I have a few additional tips that might help for installing this, and if the moderators will allow it, I would like these tips to be included in the how to.

It took me 10 hours for the first strut, and 1.5 hours for the second. Here are the few things that I learned that I didn't see in the manual that was posted.

1. When removing, hammering the clevis off the strut takes forever. To get around this, put some weight (by standing) on the rotor. Once the clevis is popped free of the strut, jump off because you are getting close to stretching the brake line by too much.
2.a. When installing the strut, have some one pull the clevis far enough out so that you can have the strut resting along the top of the clevis, with the tab "in" the clevis.
2.b. Have someone push (with their feet, possibly holding onto the upper control arm) the clevis and strut in towards the center of the vehicle to get them to line up parallel. Once they are parallel, a second person needs to jack the lower control arm up to push the clevis onto the strut. The only way to get the strut into the clevis is if they are parallel to each other. We were unable to get the clevis opened up far enough to install it any other way.

For the rear, the driver's side may need the aid of spring compressors, but you have those already since you need them for the front.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
^^^ Thanks for the tips , they will make it easier on me on when I install the shocks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have some questions for those who have done the OME lift.

Is it the strut or the spring that provides the lift in the front? Both?

Here's why I ask. I have the Rough Country lift but I'm thinking of replacing the stock struts with Bilsteins. I also plan on getting a winch and heavier bumper so the OME heavy duty springs seem like a good way to go to compensate.

Or should I just go with the OME struts and heavy springs in the front and call it a day?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just wanted to say thank you to the ones who make this guide and write up. Those pictures helped me a ton when installing my RC lift this weekend.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
For those who installed the OME lift ,,, in which side you put the A and B rear coils.

As per my knowledge the A coil is in the driver side in the Australian cars and the passenger side in US cars.

I reinstalled the OME coils which I used in my previous Commander and I put the A coil in the passenger side .. but the vehicle is tilted to the driver side !! ,, now the height is lower in the driver side by around 1" !!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts