Jeep Commander Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just did this install yesterday following this write-up and can add more as well...

1. When removing, hammering the clevis off the strut takes forever. To get around this, put some weight (by standing) on the rotor. Once the clevis is popped free of the strut, jump off because you are getting close to stretching the brake line by too much.
2.a. When installing the strut, have some one pull the clevis far enough out so that you can have the strut resting along the top of the clevis, with the tab "in" the clevis.

2.b. Have someone push (with their feet, possibly holding onto the upper control arm) the clevis and strut in towards the center of the vehicle to get them to line up parallel. Once they are parallel, a second person needs to jack the lower control arm up to push the clevis onto the strut. The only way to get the strut into the clevis is if they are parallel to each other. We were unable to get the clevis opened up far enough to install it any other way.

I did the same as above but also the following...I installed the strut fork/clevis bolt in backwards and put a washer in the space, so once I tightened it, it spread the clevis apart nicely to get the strut in. (You'll know what I mean when you do it).

For the rear, the driver's side may need the aid of spring compressors, but you have those already since you need them for the front.

I probably should have done this, but instead I unbolted the cup and had another person push down on the axle while I pryed the spring into place.
For those who installed the OME lift ,,, in which side you put the A and B rear coils.

As per my knowledge the A coil is in the driver side in the Australian cars and the passenger side in US cars.

I reinstalled the OME coils which I used in my previous Commander and I put the A coil in the passenger side .. but the vehicle is tilted to the driver side !! ,, now the height is lower in the driver side by around 1" !!
I installed the 'A' springs on the drivers side because that's what I've always seen online...But, you brought up a good point in that these lifts were designed on right hand drive vehicles! My set-up may be reversed now :(

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I just finished swapping out my 2 inch BDS spacer lift with the Old Man Emu lift. I definately like the ride and the fact that my struts arent clunking anymore!

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I just finished swapping out my 2 inch BDS spacer lift with the Old Man Emu lift. I definately like the ride and the fact that my struts arent clunking anymore!
Did you went with the MD or the HD kit and why? I'm planning on the OME as well but not yet sure with which one....

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
07jeepxk, Did you need to install spacers in the front to make it level? And is the OME just as high as the BDS? I have been thinking about doing this also. Do you plan on geting the jeepin by al upper control arms? thanks

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Did you went with the MD or the HD kit and why? I'm planning on the OME as well but not yet sure with which one....

I went with the HD coils. Im not exactly sure why other then the fact that id like to build a custom tube bumper up front in the near future.

07jeepxk, Did you need to install spacers in the front to make it level? And is the OME just as high as the BDS? I have been thinking about doing this also. Do you plan on geting the jeepin by al upper control arms? thanks
Just so no one is confused. Up front im running Old Man Emu struts and Old Man Emu HD coils. In the rear i'm still running the BDS spacers along with Old Man Emu shocks. When I get a few extra dollars ill be swapping out those rear spacers with OME HD coils. Right now the front sits slightly higher then the rear. Im not using any additional leveling spacers up front, just the HD coils. If you dont like a stiff ride then id recommend staying away from the HD springs and get the MD's. Also i'll definately be buying the JeepinbyAl UCA's. Should be in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey everyone,
I just got done reading through this post and still have a couple questions. Myself and a buddy just installed the OME HD springs front and back and the OME struts with the rocky road springs in the rear. After the install there was some crazy rattling/knocking up front and the ride is super bouncy. Not talking stiff/firm bouncy but the kind of bouncy that once you go over some bumps at speed the ride feels like your in a boat going over a soft wake. I figured out that we didn't tighten down the front struts top nut enough as we left it down past the 3rd or 4th thread. Anyone know if once that is fixed will the ride stiffen up a bit? Also wondering if it was necessary to pay attention to which side a particular spring goes on? I noticed they were labeled A and B but had not read anywhere that it was necessary to put them on a certain side. Thanks for any help on this! I'm loving the way it looks but really not enjoying the bouncy ride!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
When I installed my front OME struts and HD coils two days ago I tightened the top strut nut down to where I can see 7 threads. Absolutely no clunking or bad noises coming from the front end. Im experiencing a very stiff/firm ride out of the front end. Definately not bouncy like a boat going over a soft wake. As far as spring labeled A and B im not sure the answer for that. I just installed the front coils and struts and didnt see the springs labeled.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I installed my front OME struts and HD coils two days ago I tightened the top strut nut down to where I can see 7 threads. Absolutely no clunking or bad noises coming from the front end. Im experiencing a very stiff/firm ride out of the front end. Definately not bouncy like a boat going over a soft wake. As far as spring labeled A and B im not sure the answer for that. I just installed the front coils and struts and didnt see the springs labeled.
Same here, I tightened the nut down completely...Why would you NOT? Why does the write-up say to only tighten it 3 or 4 threads past the nut?

My OME MD set-up feels AWESOME, with no clunking and no more soft/floaty feel like it had stock. The truck now rides nice and confident. I installed the 'A' spring on the drivers side.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey everyone,
I just got done reading through this post and still have a couple questions. Myself and a buddy just installed the OME HD springs front and back and the OME struts with the rocky road springs in the rear. After the install there was some crazy rattling/knocking up front and the ride is super bouncy. Not talking stiff/firm bouncy but the kind of bouncy that once you go over some bumps at speed the ride feels like your in a boat going over a soft wake. I figured out that we didn't tighten down the front struts top nut enough as we left it down past the 3rd or 4th thread. Anyone know if once that is fixed will the ride stiffen up a bit? Also wondering if it was necessary to pay attention to which side a particular spring goes on? I noticed they were labeled A and B but had not read anywhere that it was necessary to put them on a certain side. Thanks for any help on this! I'm loving the way it looks but really not enjoying the bouncy ride!

I installed the OME HD springs in the rear of my commander (still running the rocky road spacers up front). I too saw the springs were labeled A and B but no indication of which one goes where. I emailed ARB and this is what they replied back with:

"Some of the OME spring sets have “A” and “B” designations. The 2993 coils fall into this category. These designations show there is a 10mm height difference in the two springs. That difference in height is to aid you in fighting vehicle lean.

We suggest measuring your vehicle as it is now, and figuring if you have a low or high side. This info will help you find the best placement for the springs. In most applications where both front and rear springs are of the A/B style, we suggest staggering them so you do not have both taller springs on one side (front and rear), and low springs on the other."

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Hmmmm. I still dont remember my front coils being labeled A/B. I'll have to measure my front end next time I get a chance and see if I have the same height on both sides. 10mm really isnt that much of a difference, but you would imagine those coils that are taller would go on the drivers side due to the gas tank and driver of the vehicle aways on that side. Not always do you have passengers or running on an empty tank of gas. Just my .02

·
Registered
9 Posts
okay today was the day I got back under the Commander. All I needed to do was disconnect everything and drop the struts down enough to tighten the top nut all the way down. I counted 11 threads on both sides FYI. After getting everything buttoned back up, the test ride was a success. Rides just like i thought it would and can't be happier!!!! I also added the spidertrax spacers and wow does she look good! I'll be posting crazy pics once the weather gets a bit better here in chicago. Thank god for jeepcommander.com and all the studs posting on here:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Just a little heads up to help others out in the future. After I got out the old strut/coil assembly, I attached a reamer to my angle grinder and reamed out the hole in the top of the strut tower so I can fit a deep socket 18mm on the strut nut to be able to tighten it while its still installed. All I have to do is open the hood and move the coolant over flow resevoir and fuse box to the side and I can get in there with an impact now. No disassembly required.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Just wanted to stop in again and say how much I love my new OME suspension. Everytime I drive the XK now I have a smile on my face. It rides so much better. I wish I would have just gone with OME from the beginning and never went with a spacer lift. You guys dont understand what your missing out on!

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I have had the OME lift in for about a week. The front right was starting to get a weird rattle sound. I found that the bump stop keeps falling down and the top of the shaft is rattling against the top plate. When I put the bump stop back in place it centers the shaft and no rattle. I also tighten the top nut all the way to see if that would help. I took 07JeepXK advice and reamed out the hole so I can adjust the nut from the top. It seems that the OME coils shaft is larger then the stock one. It makes a tight fit for the bump stop so it keeps getting pulled down. What can I do to keep the bump stop from falling? grease? silicone?

·
Registered
244 Posts
no pictures

All I get is the instructions, no pictures. The PDF link directs me to a website called "http://guide.opendns.com/main?url=cwbbs.net%2FDocs%2FOME%2FOld_Man_Emu_Lift_Kit_Instructions.pdf&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jeepcommander.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D5715&w=1024&h=624&ifc=0"

This shows a bunch of download links, none of them look like yours.
I guess I will have to email you.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I too would like to get a copy of this write up with working pictures if anyone has it.
Hey! So I have uploaded the guide we made to my Dropbox account. Looking back, I realize I could have been more thorough, but it should at least give you the gist of it. It might take a little while to load, but feel free to download a copy.

Throw some pics up in this post when you're done!

LINK:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0mqwripefj6i5r/Old%20Man%20Emu%20Lift%20Kit%20Instructions.pdf

·
Registered
130 Posts
hello all,
- Is that someone could give me the height between axis and bodywork in front and rear after installation* OME, please ?
- Do you have observed a slowdown after some time ? in front and rear,please ?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Newbie question about effects on ABS

Hi, I was looking into installing a lift on my Commander when I bought it in 2006, and recall seeing posts about issues related to anti-lock brake system and maybe other computerized monitoring systems. Haven't been back to the forum since then, but don't see any posts related to this. Do I need to worry about things like the ABS system when adding this lift and larger wheels? If there is a previous discussion on this I'd appreciate pointing me to it. Thank you, and fantastic job on this write up.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts