Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just picked up a 2007 commander 4.7l with 91k miles for my wife since we just had our first child and needed something bigger. The front end sits about 2.5" lower in the front then the rear (2.25" from top of tire to fender up front, 5.75" from top of tire to fender in rear). I was hoping to level it out by replacing the front coils and was wondering if the ome 2990 coils are the way to go without having to replace the struts or lift the rear at all. I tried doing some research but couldn't find anything on running these coils on an otherwise completely stock vehicle. Thanks in advance for everyone's help and expertise.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
It would look a little high in the front. I ran my XK with 5100 front struts set @ 1.5" lift for awhile with only 2 extra MOOG spring isolators (~$5 a piece @ rockauto) in the rear and that looked level to me. Here is my post on that: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/53-suspension-lifts/36545-installed-my-5100s-255-70r18s.html

Side note: You have to disassemble the front struts anyways to install springs. Seems like a bad choice to me to replace the springs and not the struts in that case.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I used the Monroe quick struts. Its a shock and spring, and installed 1/4 in spacers on top. Still has slight front end rake. Installed 1 1/2 years ago and the right ones leaking....even though its warrantied, i do not feel like taking it off for replacement. It was a heavy job rolling around on the concrete. Im sure it'll start banging this winter

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I used the Monroe quick struts. Its a shock and spring, and installed 1/4 in spacers on top. Still has slight front end rake. Installed 1 1/2 years ago and the right ones leaking....even though its warrantied, i do not feel like taking it off for replacement. It was a heavy job rolling around on the concrete. Im sure it'll start banging this winter
Yeah those quick struts are convenient... but its a Monroe product. They don't make the highest quality shocks. I've been burned trying to save a few bucks on shocks before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really appreciate everyone's input. I guess it seems the best way to go about it is just do Springs and shocks/struts all the way around. Thanks again for helping out the new guy.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I really appreciate everyone's input. I guess it seems the best way to go about it is just do Springs and shocks/struts all the way around. Thanks again for helping out the new guy.
There is a ton of information on here regarding different lift and wheel and tire combinations. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. :grin2:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yeah those quick struts are convenient... but its a Monroe product. They don't make the highest quality shocks. I've been burned trying to save a few bucks on shocks before.
It wasn't trying to save a few bucks as much as doing less work...if I could've bought any higher quality complete set, I would have spent the extra money. I wish bilstein was available as a complete set. Ill always pay extra for quality...just wasn't up for all the extra work...you know, rolling around on the driveway. Just hit 50 this year and these projects are becoming less appealing. I used to look forward to setting aside Saturday mornings to work on/up grade my cars. Now, I dread it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts