Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a lot on this fourm I am a bit confused. I have read that the Ome will give you sometimes a bit more than 3in of lift. If this is the case I have also read any thing over 2 2 1/2 will create pre mature failure of some suspension components. Can any one give me some insight. Was going to go with Bilstein adjustables but heard the can cause problems to. Thanks

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The issues crop up when you go beyond 23" from axle to fender. Stock is usually 18-19" depending on options/front end wear. An OME HD will typically lift around 3", MD is often in the 2" range. A Hemi or CRD weigh more than a v6 so thats part of the reason for the variance in height.

You would be fine with an OME HD, which is what I would recommend based on others experiences, unless you have the v6 and don't plan on a winch or bumper.

Take a measurement from your axle to the fender.

Bilstein 5100 struts @ the lowest setting will lift an additional .75" so factor that into the equation. If you decide to do both then you will likely want to lift the rear a bit more than just the OME springs as well, otherwise you would end up with reverse rake.

I have Bilstein 5100's set @ 1.5" with 32" tires, and I stacked additional spring isolators in the rear personally (>1"). I am @ 20.5" front 20.5" rear roughly (the rear fenderwell is not as large, so I still have some rake)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will look at my options. How are you Bilsteins holding up I have read that they may not work right for the Commander. Don't need anything breaking loose on the road. I just go off road to go fishing no Baja or anything . Just want the Jeep to LOOK like a Jeep.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Thanks I will look at my options. How are you Bilsteins holding up I have read that they may not work right for the Commander. Don't need anything breaking loose on the road. I just go off road to go fishing no Baja or anything . Just want the Jeep to LOOK like a Jeep.
They work fine on my XK. Ride is much more controlled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Post some pics when you get a chance. Just bought the RC 2" lift and was looking into the Bilsteins, but with the issue you're having I may stay with what I got and save for a Superlift

1 - 6 of 6 Posts