Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No problems with the install. Took just over 4 hours to put in all 4 springs, plus a little extra time for the wheel spacers and new wheels. Used two coil spring compressors to compress springs, and popped them in. Rear was super quick, only discoed shocks and sway bar. Front was not too bad, just pop out strut, add new spring, put back in. We had to compress the OME spring to get it on the strut. There is some slight rubbing as expected, but I'll tweak the inner fender later.

No issues yet with the factory struts or shocks. Ride is good, more controlled than factory but not rough. I did not drive it with the factory wheels and tires after the lift, but I did take a few pictures before adding the JK wheels and tires. The springs added a full two inches front and rear.

I'm better with a socket than a camera, sorry.
http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn142/brianjf_photos/

·
Registered
251 Posts
Looks really good! Am I the only one that thinks the stock rims and wheels look good with the 2" lift? I think it looks great! Are you not going to or need to replace the shocks with longer ones? Thanks for the pics.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
it looks great. for some reason it looks better then the spacer lift. almost like it makes it taller. are you still running stock tires?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Looks good! Nice work.

·
Registered
178 Posts
WOW...that looks like way more than two inches. Very nice!

Slainte'
O'C

·
Registered
63 Posts
OME Springs / Struts / Shocks

Brian,

I think you installed the heavy duty set front & rear correct?

Looks good and all of 2" for sure.

Thanks,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm running a set of JK Sahara wheels and tires. They are 18's with 255/70/18bridgestone AT's. I picked up a set of 5 for $300 plus a pair of KC lights from a guy who lifted his new Sahara. Also added a set of 1.25 spidertrax spacers to clear the bolt. One of the pictures is with the 17 inch factory tires and wheels, but they only were on for a minute before I swapped.

I'll replace the shocks and struts eventually, but there is no rush. I installed the fron and rear heavy load springs for a WK grand - OME part #'s 991 and 993.

The lift gave 2 inches on the dot, I measured before and after witht the factory wheels and tires. I might be wrong, but the spacer kits don't quite bring up the rear that much.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
What effect if any would you get by installing those springs on an XK already lifted with a Rocky Road Lift?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Same question I have with the Terraflex. I'd love to have the XK ride a little firmer, I've gotten used to the ride in my Bimmer.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I would think that it would give you two more inches of lift for a total of 4. If just the springs give you 2" and the spacers go on top of the spring, you get both lifts.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
CrzCajun said:
I would think that it would give you two more inches of lift for a total of 4. If just the springs give you 2" and the spacers go on top of the spring, you get both lifts.
That's what I am thinking about, but would you have the same issue with the anti roll system as the original SuperLift?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
As stated in other threads it would not be good to add the OME lifted coils along with a spacer lift kit. The cv axles and driveline would be at such an angle that would cause premature wear/failure. Anything more then 3 inches of lift requires drop down brackets to keep the stock geometry like the superlift and BDS 4 inch lift kits.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
To make it easier for you guys to see the pics......

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
228 Posts
I need a lift, and i'm thinking the OME is the one for me. If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy? and price? There is a place in phx. AZ. called DESERT RAT. They are offering the front and rear springs, front struts, and rear shocks. for around $730+ shipping. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Desert Rat is a pretty good company to work with. I've ordered a few things from them in the past with my ZJ. I really want to do the swap to OME products here sometime soon. I love my BDS, but I'd really like to ditch the spacers, and just go with new coils all around.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4348 shipped to my door for the 4 springs. I think the place was Northridge 4x4. All the places I checked came out to about the same after shipping.

Pictures-

1 lifted w/jk wheels
front coils - stock and OME
rear coils - OME and stock
before, no lift
OME lift and factory wheels & tires

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Until he gets the OME struts/shocks i dont think he can get a good understandind of how the kit rides~

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Old McDonald, I'm looking at the Desert Rat site and can't find any info for the OME setup you listed. Is the special at a specific store?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts