Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, finally got everything installed and I'm having some noise and ESD glitches.

I have an 2007 limited with QDii and 5.7. Stock tire size BFG KO2, no problems before the lift other than differential bushing knock when shifting. Work done includes OME HD springs and shocks, JBA UCA's, stiff bushings on diff, new Red Line diff fluid with friction modifier in front diff, Mevotech LCA, rear control arms and other components. Basically ALL new suspension. I did find one broken bolt on the front propeller shaft CV and replaced all 6 bolts on that. As much as possible every thing was torqued to factory specs with a good torque wrench. No extra leveling spacers were used.

The change in height is interesting Front driver was +5 1/5" (21 " center of wheel to fender, I'm going to check this one because it may have been sitting on the wheel chock) Front passenger was + 4 5/8 (Also about 21" hub to fender) The back was only 1 7/8" and 1 1/8" higher. ( about 20 hub to fender) Measurements were taken at the wheel center lines. I will post pics of relevant measurements later.

The new stance looks good and feels good up and down the curb to my Commander parking spot. Unfortunately I have excessive gear noise up front. As speed increases it changes to more of a grinding or fast ticking around 25MPH I think. I had the ESD traction light flash like I was slipping under hard ish acceleration. This all happened less than a block from home on dry pavement. Brakes feel fine. I have not had a front end alignment yet and I KNOW it's not even close. I was planning on taking to to A Arrow alignment here in Vegas, it's about 10 mi away on 35 to 45 MPH streets. I wanted to figure out this problem before driving that distance.

I'm assuming if I had a bad or damaged speed sensor I would get an error. Can bad alignment cause these problems? Does the lift up front sound excessive? I thought it was really low up front before I started all this so I'm hopping it's just making up for weak springs plus the 2" lift. I will inspect everything tomorrow as well as maybe test the speed sensors.

Thank you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made a change to the alignment and that changed the noise. Turning off the ESP made it drivable without the grinding noise or any pops and clicking. I drove it to the shop that way and the esp Bas light came on.

I will find out tomorrow morning if the alignment works.
IMG_20200302_121211349.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Picked it up from the alignment shop. Tow and camber were way off before. After alignment camber was a touch high at .7ish vs max spec of .15 . Tech said he had used all available adjustment. Caster was right in line and toe was good.

All lights on the dash cleared after a few blocks. It drove nice so I took it on an off road loop with a good mix.

Still very sure footed on hills and washes. Tight turns with no rubbing. Very rough areas were still rough but not painfully so. Ground clearance is now much better and what I was hoping for. Now, long strait-ish paths with undulation or dips.... DAMMMM ?I was doing 40 MPH on most of those with a few spots up to 60+ MPH!!! hard breaking from those speeds still requires care and skill but is predictable.

Over all I'm very happy with my choices on this rig and would recommend OME HD to any one wanting to improve off road capability. Also, from all the research I did related to this problem I can say that the first thing to check is the alignment. These Jeeps have sensors for everything! If the physical parts are not in spec then the computer will not be happy!

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
@TNTJEEP Watch this video. It will tell you how to do the alignment after installing the JBA arms.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@TNTJEEP Watch this video. It will tell you how to do the alignment after installing the JBA arms.

Thank you. I saw that video but did not get a chance to talk to the tech before the alignment. I plan on driving it for a bit and then getting it checked again. I'm curious how stable the alignment is given the kind of driving I do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alignment did not hold all that long. I kept hearing little clunky noises. Minor at first, then louder be as I was parking at the end of the day. Looking under I noticed slide marks in the adjustment slots. Checking with a torque wrench the bolts were not tight.

Called the shop and manager was defensive but said bring it back and they will do another alignment free.

Going back in the morning armed with a print out from the service manual.

·
Registered
367 Posts
an alignment and proper torque should take care of it. there are sensors that will detect severe angles in the steering and will cause what you are experiencing

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeep is all good now. They didn't know about the adjustment in the back. Also didn't know about the JBA UCA option for our Commanders. But then not many lifted around here.

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
Jeep is all good now. They didn't know about the adjustment in the back. Also didn't know about the JBA UCA option for our Commanders. But then not many lifted around here.
Glad you got it straightened out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had some more clunking show up. Turned out to be the top of the front shock on the passenger side. When RRO assembled them they did not tighten down the top nut. Between that and the missing bumpstops the top of the shock could still move.
I cut the hole bigger and tried an impact gun as noted in several posts. Unfortunately the shaft just spun. Hope I did't damage my OME shock. I modified a socket so I could hold the shock shaft and turn the nut at the same time.

Next time I will just buy the parts separate and do my own assembly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts