Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm currently running the RC 2" lift with Bilsteins on my '05 WK 4.7L and even though I just got this lift not too long ago I'm contemplating stepping up to the OME MD springs so I can run a 285/70/17 tire and tad more lift height.

Has anyone run the OME springs with Bilstein shocks/struts? Any issues at all?

This truck is my DD and just does some mild wheeling (if you can call it that) here on Long Island. I'd like a nice ride and hope that this set-up wouldn't cause any major issues.

I'd sell off my RC 2" lift and Nitto Terra Grapplers which are 265/70/17 and probably have 75% or more tread life left but have no idea what I could get for them, any ideas?

·
Registered
338 Posts
The 285's are generally believed on this forum to be too big for a 2" lift.... Not that I'm not considering the OME and a similar tire size myself in the future.... cause I am.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Any major reasons why you aren't happy with the RC lift? I think the OME lift gives you about the same height as the RC, so just curious as to why you want to upgrade. Suspension noise? Bad ride quality?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Just so you know, there is no way you can fit 285/70R17's with an Old Man Emu lift. You would need either the 4 inch Superrlift or BDS lift to fit that size tire. Even with the 4 inch and 285/70's there is rubbing depending on the off set/ back spacing of the wheel being used.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just so you know, there is no way you can fit 285/70R17's with an Old Man Emu lift. You would need either the 4 inch Superrlift or BDS lift to fit that size tire. Even with the 4 inch and 285/70's there is rubbing depending on the off set/ back spacing of the wheel being used.
Where would they rub with the OME + 1/2" spacer in the front? Would it be the Control Arm bolt in that crazy location? Or inner/outer fender walls front and back(on the front wheels)? I assume the front wheels are the major concern. Also, would the rubbing be under heavy articulation only or with daily on the road driving as well?

My Bronco fits 33X12.5 without any lift, so, if anyone on the forum wants to upgrade.... let me know.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any major reasons why you aren't happy with the RC lift? I think the OME lift gives you about the same height as the RC, so just curious as to why you want to upgrade. Suspension noise? Bad ride quality?
In general the RC lift gives you 2" of lift height while even though the OME lift is advertised as a 2" lift, in reality it gives you more of a 3" lift height.
After seeing pics of OME lifted WK's running a 285/70/17 tire I really wanted to bump up. My RC lift w/ Bilsteins rides GREAT! I just wanted to bump up for the extra height fir that tire, but evidently I MAY (that's a big maybe...) not have to go to the OME to run a 285 series tire

The 285's are generally believed on this forum to be too big for a 2" lift.... Not that I'm not considering the OME and a similar tire size myself in the future.... cause I am.
A 285/70/17 tire can definitely be run with the OME lift and it can be done with minor mods such as the pinch fold mod and running bump stop extensions. You can check it out here: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522541

·
Registered
696 Posts
I modded my pinch weld and have minor rubbing with 265/70 on RC lift. How much more lift does the OME give? They are both 2" lifts. 285's are not going to work. That is also on a WK not XK (and now everybody adds their two pennies cause they are the same; but DIFFERENT). If 285's fit everyone here would have a OME kit and superlift would go out of business because for the price of the Superlift I could fit OME on my XK and a friends. who wants one?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
A 285/70/17 tire can definitely be run with the OME lift and it can be done with minor mods such as the pinch fold mod and running bump stop extensions. You can check it out here: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522541
You are absolutely wrong. Just because a 285/70 will fit on a Grand Cherokee with a 2" OME lift and minor modification doesnt mean it will fit on the Commander. The wheel well's on the Grand Cherokee are bigger and angled differently then the Commander. I know this because my best friend has a 2005 Grand Cherokee and I have put over 200+ hours of wrenching on that vehicle when we installed his 4 inch BDS lift.

Now dont get me wrong you CAN make it fit but your going to have to take a sawzall to your commander to make it fit. Good luck with that one. Send some pics when its completed. I'd like to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I modded my pinch weld and have minor rubbing with 265/70 on RC lift. How much more lift does the OME give? They are both 2" lifts. 285's are not going to work. That is also on a WK not XK (and now everybody adds their two pennies cause they are the same; but DIFFERENT). If 285's fit everyone here would have a OME kit and superlift would go out of business because for the price of the Superlift I could fit OME on my XK and a friends. who wants one?
You are absolutely wrong. Just because a 285/70 will fit on a Grand Cherokee with a 2" OME lift and minor modification doesnt mean it will fit on the Commander. The wheel well's on the Grand Cherokee are bigger and angled differently then the Commander. I know this because my best friend has a 2005 Grand Cherokee and I have put over 200+ hours of wrenching on that vehicle when we installed his 4 inch BDS lift.

Now dont get me wrong you CAN make it fit but your going to have to take a sawzall to your commander to make it fit. Good luck with that one. Send some pics when its completed. I'd like to see how it turns out.
Sorry about that, I just edited my original post to note that u have an '05 WK w/ the 4.7L

·
Registered
696 Posts
So if you have a GC, WK, Grand Cherokee, whatever you wanna call it, excuse me, but what are you doing here? Other then confusing us?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if you have a GC, WK, Grand Cherokee, whatever you wanna call it, excuse me, but what are you doing here? Other then confusing us?
Well, being that the WK & XK share the same chassis and the fact that the RC lift, Bilsteins and OME lift are popular mods on both, I figured I'd post up on here to try and get some more insight...I know I'm not the only WK guy on here

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Not a big a deal bro. Your welcome here. Sorry about my last post. I didnt realize that you have a WK. I guess that I just figured that you had an XK. Also, I noticed that you mentioned getting the MD springs. If you are looking for that extra lift to clear those tires, I'd recommend getting the HD springs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not a big a deal bro. Your welcome here. Sorry about my last post. I didnt realize that you have a WK. I guess that I just figured that you had an XK. Also, I noticed that you mentioned getting the MD springs. If you are looking for that extra lift to clear those tires, I'd recommend getting the HD springs.
No problem...
I'm just wondering if you can in fact run OME springs with Bilsteins or not

·
Registered
696 Posts
We need to start a thread to find out who else drives a WK then. Just kidding. You are welcome here but I was confused. I drive a Commander and my wife drives a Grand Cherokee as long as you are not a Hummer guy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.