Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
65th Anniversary, OME MD, Bilstein 4600 fr, 5100 rear
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, after years of researching and test driving Jeeps I finally bought a Commander a couple years ago and it’s been a great affordable adventure rig. Initially I planned to build out my Forester for mild overlanding but couldn’t bear to abuse a new car, and didn’t like how the CVT felt on anything beyond moderate trails.

After running a few OHV trails my initial thoughts were that this vehicle is very capable off road albeit with a bit more fanfare than the QD-II. The real limiter was the tire size on trails dug out by 37’s and the nose down stance combined with how much the front springs had sagged. Enter this forum (yet again) and reading about all the lift options and member experiences. Thanks to the write-ups, pictures, and expertise on this forum I finally settled on a slightly modified OME MD/Bilstein lift and couldn’t be happier with how I’ve spent my hard earned cash. Thought I’d join at minimum to heartily thank all for their valuable contributions, even though many no longer own their Commanders.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One of the priorities I had was not losing the awesome ride from the factory. I’m a fan of the ability of the stock springs to isolate the cabin from NVH. OME MD springs seem to be the perfect balance between comfort and handling. They support the front end in a way that makes it almost feel agile. My impression is that the rear springs won’t handle extra heavy loads as well as the stocker but they handle the weight of my normal overlanding gear just fine.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For all those that have Commanders and are considering a lift, I highly recommend OME. With the addition of all new isolators and strut mounts, this old Jeep feels like a brand new vehicle. I just test drove a JK and a new JL recently (liked the JL) and definitely feel I made the right decision to keep the Commander and beef it up. Really felt with the JL I’d be sacrificing interior space, and I literally tweaked my back trying to get into the back seat at the dealer so it wouldn’t be the best place for the rare rear passenger. Pretty sure my dog would even feel a bit ripped off for space!

Currently I’m running Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s and now am trying to decide on which larger tire to go with. Favoring the same in 265/70/17 or perhaps Falken’s new hybrid tire that launched in December.

· Administrator
2008 XK Sport 4.7L V-8 QT-II 4WD 104,xxx Miles
8,736 Posts
For all those that have Commanders and are considering a lift, I highly recommend OME. With the addition of all new isolators and strut mounts, this old Jeep feels like a brand new vehicle. I just test drove a JK and a new JL recently (liked the JL) and definitely feel I made the right decision to keep the Commander and beef it up. Really felt with the JL I’d be sacrificing interior space, and I literally tweaked my back trying to get into the back seat at the dealer so it wouldn’t be the best place for the rare rear passenger. Pretty sure my dog would even feel a bit ripped off for space!

Currently I’m running Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s and now am trying to decide on which larger tire to go with. Favoring the same in 265/70/17 or perhaps Falken’s new hybrid tire that launched in December.
@Green Beast ;

Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you can;

I'm glad the information on the forum was able to help guide you through, your XK buying experience.

Please read the 1st post in the New Member Required Reading thread below; There is loads of great information for new Commander owners;

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

Here are some links if you need to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.c...unt/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...catalog%2Fjeep

I hope you find this information useful & again, welcome aboard.

· Registered
2006 Commander Limited; 5.7L HEMI; QD-II 4WD; 214,000 Miles
14 Posts
Hi @Green Beast - great work on the OME lift!

I did the same a few years ago - can't remember if I went with the MD or HD lift from them. I used 2991 and 2993 springs to do it.

Best upgrade I've ever done! One thing I noticed is after the lift, the truck felt "like a truck" when driving - which is a good thing. :)

For tires, I'm currently running 255/75 R17 Bridgestone Duelers which fit (tightly) without spacers in combo with that lift. I used to run Goodyear Duratracs which were awesome but loud. And even though I want a really capable 4x4, the reality is that I spend 99% of my time on the road so some quieter tires were in order.

· Registered
2007 Commander Limited Hemi 2wd
61 Posts
Greetings @Green Beast !

This past summer I too installed an OME MD ser in my xk 5.7.
I have a question for you:
What are the measurements after the lift?
Mine currently sits at nearly 23” in the front and under 21” in the rear.

From my understanding these springs should net you 2.3” higher which in a stock XK at 18.5” should set you right under 21” in the front.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Green Beast ;

Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you can;

I'm glad the information on the forum was able to help guide you through, your XK buying experience.

Please read the 1st post in the New Member Required Reading thread below; There is loads of great information for new Commander owners;

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

Here are some links if you need to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.c...unt/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...catalog%2Fjeep

I hope you find this information useful & again, welcome aboard.
Thanks Big Blue! I’ll get some pics up shortly.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greetings @Green Beast !

This past summer I too installed an OME MD ser in my xk 5.7.
I have a question for you:
What are the measurements after the lift?
Mine currently sits at nearly 23” in the front and under 21” in the rear.

From my understanding these springs should net you 2.3” higher which in a stock XK at 18.5” should set you right under 21” in the front.
Hello, I’ve been waiting for the springs to settle after taking a couple of solid trips. Once I take measurements I’ll post them here. My initial impression was that the MD springs gave me the HD amount of lift (3+ inches) in the front, which I did not expect based on user experience with MD springs. Considering I added the RR trim packer in the front, that means the front is too high now but I anticipate that will change once I add a winch and sliders, etc.

When taking ground to fender measurements immediately after the lift, it appeared to have netted 5 inches in the front and 3 inches in the rear, but I know those are not the best basis for comparison with other vehicles. I planned to also take hub to fender measurements the same day (again, prior to settling) but the flat parking lot I went to near my house had high icy wind gusts! It was all I could do to keep the end of the tape measure on the ground or not be blown over!

· Registered
2007 Commander Limited Hemi 2wd
61 Posts
Lol yeah the thought of getting measurements is not something that remotely crossed my mind as all I could think about was how good the Jeep would look after the install.

I personally do not have nor plan on adding more weight to it so what I see is what I get.

It has been an eye sore this whole time though to look at a vehicle with a lean.

In the meantime enjoy and keep us updated!

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol yeah the thought of getting measurements is not something that remotely crossed my mind as all I could think about was how good the Jeep would look after the install.

I personally do not have nor plan on adding more weight to it so what I see is what I get.

It has been an eye sore this whole time though to look at a vehicle with a lean.

Fully agreed about the lean @CmdrDonnyT. I was on a beer run a couple months ago (before the lift) and a woman in a huge lifted Commander pulled up next to me at the light and was looking at my sagging Jeep. I almost wanted to hide lol. I mean, I was already planning the lift but certainly found some unexpected motivation there!

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi @Green Beast - great work on the OME lift!

I did the same a few years ago - can't remember if I went with the MD or HD lift from them. I used 2991 and 2993 springs to do it.

Best upgrade I've ever done! One thing I noticed is after the lift, the truck felt "like a truck" when driving - which is a good thing. :)

For tires, I'm currently running 255/75 R17 Bridgestone Duelers which fit (tightly) without spacers in combo with that lift. I used to run Goodyear Duratracs which were awesome but loud. And even though I want a really capable 4x4, the reality is that I spend 99% of my time on the road so some quieter tires were in order.
@bratwurst Considering the cost of a new truck these days this was a great investment to get that new truck feeling! Any sacrifice in plushness seems well worth it so far.
Appreciate the tip on the Duratracs. Unless I get a great deal on a used set I plan to look at other brands of tires. I do have other vehicles but prefer driving the Commander so spends most of it’s time on the road. Even when I’m headed to an offroad area that still means 2-3 hrs on pavement so I still want a somewhat comfortable and quiet ride.

· Registered
190 Posts
I have the Wrangler Duratrac 265/70 R17 115S and absolutely love them. I have almost 54k miles on them and while I'll be pricing another set soon, they did just pass PA state inspection. Yes, they are a little noisy, but nothing a little radio won't fix!

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the Wrangler Duratrac 265/70 R17 115S and absolutely love them. I have almost 54k miles on them and while I'll be pricing another set soon, they did just pass PA state inspection. Yes, they are a little noisy, but nothing a little radio won't fix!
@tankman67 Nice! Perfect use of music! I consistently hear the Duratracs are great tires and capable both in wet conditions and in the snow. The Wildpeaks share the same characteristics, but make next to no noise, at least not on my vehicle. Plus they have a more aggressive sidewall to satisfy my vanity. If I get a hybrid tire I’ll have some noise to contend with. The cabin is very quiet in these vehicles so we suffer less from road noise than some other vehicles.

· Registered
236 Posts
Hello, I’ve been waiting for the springs to settle after taking a couple of solid trips. Once I take measurements I’ll post them here. My initial impression was that the MD springs gave me the HD amount of lift (3+ inches) in the front, which I did not expect based on user experience with MD springs. Considering I added the RR trim packer in the front, that means the front is too high now but I anticipate that will change once I add a winch and sliders, etc.

When taking ground to fender measurements immediately after the lift, it appeared to have netted 5 inches in the front and 3 inches in the rear, but I know those are not the best basis for comparison with other vehicles. I planned to also take hub to fender measurements the same day (again, prior to settling) but the flat parking lot I went to near my house had high icy wind gusts! It was all I could do to keep the end of the tape measure on the ground or not be blown over!
When I installed OME springs and Bilstein shocks my front end was about an inch higher than the back even after installing a winch and after taking a fairly long trip. It was fine the way it was but I did machine some spacers for the rear springs and evened it up. The ride is great with these springs and shocks.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I installed OME springs and Bilstein shocks my front end was about an inch higher than the back even after installing a winch and after taking a fairly long trip. It was fine the way it was but I did machine some spacers for the rear springs and evened it up. The ride is great with these springs and shocks.
@bdalameda Good to know. Curious, was that with the HD or MD springs? My plan was to only touch the front once, and to then fine tune the rear with an additional isolator or spacer. Right now it’s not too nose high and drives amazing even prior to an alignment so if it stays this way I’d be thrilled.

· Registered
236 Posts
@bdalameda Good to know. Curious, was that with the HD or MD springs? My plan was to only touch the front once, and to then fine tune the rear with an additional isolator or spacer. Right now it’s not too nose high and drives amazing even prior to an alignment so if it stays this way I’d be thrilled.
It has been a long time since I put on these springs, I seem to remember that I got the HD springs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts