Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am really considering this OME suspension/lift upgrade. I've heard nothing but great things about them.

I just got off the phone with my Jeep dealer. He has never heard of "OME". He has installed 2 other brand "X" lifts on 2 XK's. The guy said they sucked, and wouldn't recommend lifting the Commander. :(

Also talked to them about my warranty, and if it would VOID it. response was, "it's a grey area". it may or may not. Thats comforting!

Soo.... some questions:

1) has anyone on here had any experience with OME products?
2) is it worth the $700+ dollars?
3) has anyone shopped at desert rat in arizona, and would you recommend them?

Just needing someone to "push me" to take the plunge, and buy it.

thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I have no personal experience with OME, but those who've used them have been very satisfied. I've also heard that Desert Rat is very good to deal with. As for worth, that's completely up to you.

I think you're the first one here to think about the OME lift for the XK. Don't take the dealer's advice on lifts since that's not their primary business, but I can attest that I wasn't satisfied with the 2.25 Skyjacker budget boost.

Since I've been reading this thread, I'm thinking about this lift as well. I'd like to have a lift that rides better than stock and isn't just a spacer lift so that the geometry's kept close to factory specs.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
OME = top notch products. Worth the money.

Desert Rat = great company. Bought several items off of them in the past.

And someone just posted up their OME coil spring lift over the past week. I don't know who, but if you run a search, I'm sure you'll find it.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
When i lift the commander im going with the OME suspension kit. I dont mind paying a little more for a better setup. I just cant see throwing in some spacers when i can install lifted coils and the proper length shocks/struts. I have been reading up on OME the past couple weeks and have read nothing but good stuff. Supposedly the OME kits make the vehcile ride better then stock. Not many lift kits out there can say that!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
A buddy of mine had the OME lift (about 1.5-2") on his ZJ, and yeah, definitely felt more stout than the factory ride. But when I say stout, I don't mean tough/rough. I mean solid. MUCH better feel than factory.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have the OME springs and shocks on my TJ. I also put OME shocks on our Grand Cherokee when we had it. Great products. Not much lift as in Australia suspension lifts are very limited by law but REALLY improves the ride. Designed for the Austrailian washboard roads. If they are promising 2 1/2" lift and thats what you want then I say go ahead. As to that dealer, he obviously knows VERY LITTLE about suspension lifts as OME is a really big well known brand. john

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just came back from Desert Rat! I order my parts: front springs OME991, front struts N188S (on back order), rear springs OME993, rear struts N190. Very Excited!! I should have the parts by 6/25/08!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Cool, keep us posted on the outcome of your lift, getting anxious to try this myself.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!!! Please keep us informed and show us the pics:D

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Old McDonald said:
Just came back from Desert Rat! I order my parts: front springs OME991, front struts N188S (on back order), rear springs OME993, rear struts N190. Very Excited!! I should have the parts by 6/25/08!
Looking forward, will it be done for the trip on the 28th?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As soon as I get the parts, I'm putting them in. I'm really hoping to have it installed before the 28th.
-Side note. I bought a VIAIR 400P portable air compressor. It's pretty cool! Can't wait to try it out. fills up 31" tires up from 15 psi to 30 psi in 1 min +. I'm not sure if i should air down on the trail or not, didn't last year. But i might try it just to use the new compressor! :)

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I do not have a commpressor yet so I can only air down if someone else brings one. I plan to put the winch/compressor combination made by Warn on my 4.7 bumper.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Parts are in!!! Just picked them up!!

I'll have pictures up soon.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Post some of the parts prior to install.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Let me know if you need a garage/tools to install it. I have everything you would need, and would love to help you out...It's going to look awesome!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Glad you like it, LOL.
I'm constantly thinking of stupid bumper sticker sayings, and I thought this one was one of my better ones... I don't think a lot of people get it, because you are the first to say anything about it.

Can I come out there for vacation and stay at your place?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
AJGuy84 said:
Glad you like it, LOL.
I'm constantly thinking of stupid bumper sticker sayings, and I thought this one was one of my better ones... I don't think a lot of people get it, because you are the first to say anything about it.

Can I come out there for vacation and stay at your place?
Me too! LOL:D
Must be nice...

1 - 20 of 84 Posts