Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few days of playing around with the strut/spring combo, I finally have sucess. I can also say that I have turned into a pro at the tear down and the reassembly, (5 minute tear down aside, 8 minute reassembly aside). First i tried the ome 2" spring with the blistein, no good. Second i tried ome spring with blistein minus the 4" super lift spacer, no good (could not figure out how to make a smaller spacer using the original mounting hardware, not long enough). Third I made a bold move (Ross if your reading stop here :))I took it all apart and pulled out the chop saw, zing, just like that one coil less. By doing this i figure I removed about 3/4" = 1.5" of lift. End result, as you will see in the pics, is that the xk is a little bit higher in the front, no more nose dive look. Speaking of nose dive, very little when braking. The ride it self has greatly improved, keeping in mind all the additional weight i have on the front end. All in all, very pleased with myself and the result.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
looks good, and good thinking on the spring chop. As an alternative I would have left the springs at their height and added a RR 2.25" lift spacer to the top. That would have worked out to be 2" lift spring + 2.25" lift spacer = 4.25" lift. That is all hindesight since it is done now and looks great the way you did it.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Did you take any pictures of the chopped spring?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rr 2.5" spacer might have worked but i did not have one in my parts bin. I just wanted to get it done as i was starting to get a little bit tired.
I do not have any pics of the the chopping of the spring. However before i cut the spring, the two bottom coils where touching each other under load.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
The rr 2.5" spacer might have worked but i did not have one in my parts bin. I just wanted to get it done as i was starting to get a little bit tired.
I hear you! I don't like to have projects like that half finished. But that could be a solution for others who have the 4" lift and want to swap to the HD springs.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Well Done, Thanks for sharing your experience.

Did you chop a complete circle ? or part of it?

How much the Blistein front shock cost?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Done, Thanks for sharing your experience.

Did you chop a complete circle ? or part of it?

How much the Blistein front shock cost?

Thanks Ahmed. I cut one complete circle off from the BOTTOM. I bought the struts from Get Lost 4x4, I can not recall the price.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Well im glad you figured out how to run OME springs with the Superlift and a GETLOST bumper. Ill be doing something similar in the near future. Lucky for me though i can use my BDS front spacer with the OME springs and ditch the 4 inch superlift spacer!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are you getting too close to the garage door now?
Thanks Ross. Yes I am hitting the top rubber. If there is snow on the ground I am pretty sure I will take take my roof rack out. :rofl: oh good times.
UCA's will be next but I want to try something myself first. Besides my girlfriend keeps talking about diamonds................not sure what she is on about?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MARRIAGE are you being serious. :rofl: Well i guess the money will go to other toys, that could be a good thing..........rc jeeps, rc plains etc

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
The money will go too diapers, food, diapers, toys, diapers, cloths, diapers, school, diapers...

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i'm so glad my kids are finally out of diapers. talk about a rip off.:ugh2:

anyway, love the commander, and as always, silver is a great color!

i think we should have a silver commander outing.

The money will go too diapers, food, diapers, toys, diapers, cloths, diapers, school, diapers...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys for giving me preview of the things i get to look forward too.

Ross we should definatly meet up and do an outing sometime. I will drive down pick up PolarBZ along the way, and any other xk's. Any one else in?

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Sorry I missed all this, good stuff. As some of you know I am heading home for a few weeks in December and will be installing my bumper and winch. I like the idea adding the HD spring and the 2.5 spacer. Let me ask this, would there be any difference between the steel spacer and urethane one? Texel, looks great man, cant wait to get mine going.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I emailed Rocky Road Outfitters because I assume that was the RR spacer you were talking about but I think it might be different. They do not offer a spacer but do have a 1.5" HD spring available by phone. I am waiting on the specs.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have a quick question for you. When you installed the new OME springs, did you re-install the supplied preload spacers that came with the Superlift kit?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a quick question for you. When you installed the new OME springs, did you re-install the supplied preload spacers that came with the Superlift kit?

Not sure what you mean about preload spacer................but everything was reused.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts