Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a way to tighten the strut nut on an OME strut without taking the whole front suspension apart?

I installed my OME HD lift about 3 weeks ago and have had a weird rattling noise ever since. went over all the bolts that I loosened or removed and all are torqued to spec. still have the noise... so I start doing some internet research and found multiple people that say they had the same noise and the issue came from the fact that the instructions arent complete for the strut installation. It says to install the nut to where 4 or 5 threads are showing... which I did. But others are saying it actually needs to be tighter than that, they also said they tightened it and the noise went away but they dont say how they did it. So I just pulled the coolant reservoir out of the way and jacked my LCA up and the top strut nut/shaft moved up. Meaning there is now space between the nut and the upper strut mount, should that happen? If I try and tighten it the shaft just spins. I know the top of the shaft will fit an 8mm socket/wrench but I cant use that with a socket in there, and there is no way to get a wrench in their either.

So has anyone else experienced this issue? did tightening that nut solve the issue? Did you tighten the nut without taking the strut back out, and if so how?

Really dont want to take this thing back apart since it was such a pain in the ass to put in....

·
Registered
210 Posts
You may want to pickup a pass through socket set? That would allow you to get a socket on the bottom nut and a regular one on top. If you have no other options, than maybe try to wrap the highest point on the shaft with thick tape to prevent damage then clamp vise grips.. Thats last ditch though as you dont want to damage the shaft.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere that someone cut the opening on the shock tower large enough for a socket to fit. I would paint it aftwerwards if you go this route.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may want to pickup a pass through socket set? That would allow you to get a socket on the bottom nut and a regular one on top. If you have no other options, than maybe try to wrap the highest point on the shaft with thick tape to prevent damage then clamp vise grips.. Thats last ditch though as you dont want to damage the shaft.
I could be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere that someone cut the opening on the shock tower large enough for a socket to fit. I would paint it aftwerwards if you go this route.
I cut out the hole and tried a pass through set last night but they werent tall enough (do they make pass through deepwells or is that redundant since thats why pass throughs were made...). Then I tried the vice grips at the very top of the shaft last night as well, it still spun. those things are crazy smooth.

glad to know you guys think like me...

I ended up getting it taken care of today. compressed the spring and dropped the control arm and strut just low enough so I could get a wrench around the nut from underneath. then used an 8mm socket from the top. Spun the shaft until the wrench pressed up against the mounting bolt and held the nut while the shaft spun. Tightened right down. Its crazy that the instructions dont warn people about this... but hey its all good now.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sounds like you are good now. I dealt with this a number of years ago... Cut the top whole bigger ( which was a project in itself), then used a 1/4" nut drive with extension and rachet with a fatter socket over the top of the smaller one, then I used either a wrench or vicegrip to hold the fat socket still. Cutting the holes bigger turned out to be the hardest part.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In case someone comes across this thread later with a search, here is a how to:

Milton's Jeep Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

I used a dremel and it took me like 15 mins...
Yes I used a dremel to open it up as well, very quick and easy that way. My issue was that when I stuck a socket on the nut it just spun with the shaft. Dont have an impact not sure if that would have changed things. I think I came across that post you linked but since all of the pictures are not working I was kind of just shooting in the dark. Either way its all good now, I thought I put pics up here in case anyone found this down the road, but I guess I only put them on this one... (along with a little better explanation)

OME strut nut HELP!!!!!!!! - JeepForum.com

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yes I used a dremel to open it up as well, very quick and easy that way. My issue was that when I stuck a socket on the nut it just spun with the shaft. Dont have an impact not sure if that would have changed things. I think I came across that post you linked but since all of the pictures are not working I was kind of just shooting in the dark. Either way its all good now, I thought I put pics up here in case anyone found this down the road, but I guess I only put them on this one... (along with a little better explanation)

OME strut nut HELP!!!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Ah yeah IIRC I put a big socket on the the nut, held that in place, and a small ratcheting combo wrench on the top of the staft and spun the shaft to tighten the nut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts