Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must have spaced out for a second, I grabbed a bottle of 10w30 for my oil change. Luckily, I still have about 6 qts of 5w30 here.

The 5.7 needs 7 qts...

How big of a deal is throwing a quart of 10w30 into the mix gonna be? Can't be that bad, can it?

Thanks in advance for any info...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I dont recall what year it changed, but my 2010 hemi is 7 quarts of 5w20...bought in the 5 qt containers at Wally World which improves price vs buying in quarts. I have read many times the 5.7 is picky on the oil viscosity for the MDS to function properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops. Sorry, I meant I still have about 6 qts of 5w20 here. So I'm good to go there. I'm hoping adding a quart of 10w30 to top off won't be too much of an issue.

The 10w30 I bought was a 5 qt bottle, so I'm hoping to slowly use it up over my next several oil changes, rather than waste the money or make a round trip back to the auto parts store...

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
I must have spaced out for a second, I grabbed a bottle of 10w30 for my oil change. Luckily, I still have about 6 qts of 5w30 here.

The 5.7 needs 7 qts...

How big of a deal is throwing a quart of 10w30 into the mix gonna be? Can't be that bad, can it?

Thanks in advance for any info...
Probably not the end of the world - but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
I don't know how much one quart of 5W30 will change the viscosity of all of the engine oil. Probably not much. But you should probably not do it on a consistent basis.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm not gonna do it again. I figure one quart won't hurt much for a few thousand miles. I'm just glad I had backup 5w20 on hand.

Thanks all for the input.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you haven't opened it, why don't you just exchange it for the proper viscosity? The MDS will probably notice the difference, and may not operate as smoothly or perhaps even throw a code, but I doubt it would cause any permanent damage. I wouldn't put it in mine, but that's just me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts